Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

We can't hit the good stuff every trip. This post will keep me humble. Went out with my wife to play in the dirt...or perhaps I should say mud. South Louisiana was a muddy mucky mess. I was sinking into the muck in my shrimp boots! Anyhow, I got a couple pieces: part of a spur, a brass scale arm, a nice brick red clay pipe, small piece of a cross, and a "mickey mouse" style lock. I've heard that the locks are late 1700s finds, but haven't found any definitive documentation on that as of yet. I also got a complete heel plate that was very deep, close to a foot down. Diggergirl got a couple marbles, wheat penny, and some random bits. Nothing worth making a video for.

...so we willl get 'em next time. Happy Holidays All, and enjoy the pics,

Buck

pipe.jpg pipe1.jpg spur.jpg

HPIM4934.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 9
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote me
"everyday can't be rainbows, and lollypops."

That said I don't recall a red clay pipe before, so that is pretty cool.

I know exactly what it is like to get less than you "expect", but in the end it really is more about the trip than the trinkets. You'll remember how deep, sticky, and heavy that muck was longer than you would remember another so-so type of find. Being able to share a hunt is ...well priceless.

Agreed. Was great to dig with the Mrs. :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm struggling to dig 500 CW relics myself BB. Need 9 more after today. I dug a cast iron heel plate exactly like that ton the Confederate retreat route from the Battle of Hartsville when they left with nearly 1,400 Union prisoners. Is that a U.S. Regulation style spur? I bet Molly eyeballed most of the surface finds. I'll tell you what Cannoball Guy told me recently. "A bad day to you would be a good day for others". Happy New Year to you two fine people, Q.

Thanks so much Quindy. Wish I could've hosted you and Dman this year. As it turns out, my sister isn't coming now (she's having some back trouble) so you two could've come. Bummer! Had a good hunt that I've gotta get posted. Shane dug an unlisted token and I got 1700s silver!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
You dug your Barber quarter so you are done for the year Sir! :occasion14:
If you need me to send you some adult sized boots let me know. I hate to see you squeezing into "shrimp boots". :laughing7:
Happy Holidays to you and Molly. Did Q send you a picture of the Tenn Trio for your fireplace mantel?
Cheers,
DUG

Q did send me a picture in a greeting card but it was one of those talking cards and Doug had recorded his own voice telling that damned joke. Q sent it to me thinking it'd be an eye-opening experience to see what it was like to go hunting with Doug. Told me to walk around all day with that card in open in my pocket. After 10 minutes of that I couldn't put up with it any more and I dropped the card back in the mail, C.O.D. :laughing7:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen that color either. I usually see either white clay or grey.

White is the most common over here, i have one black found but never seen red. Very very cool! For me the find of the day.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard day in the office but the pipe saved it.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BB,

I feel your pain, we've all had many days just like that.

I am sure you guys will get your share in the long run.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to see you guys get out together for a little swinging. Sorry you didn't find the silver I know you were seeking, but you did make some nice finds. BTW - Dan and I have found a number of those mickey mouse locks on colonial sites, and are convinced they date to the 1700s. But I'm not sure I've seen anything documenting that either.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you guys get out together for a little swinging. Sorry you didn't find the silver I know you were seeking, but you did make some nice finds. BTW - Dan and I have found a number of those mickey mouse locks on colonial sites, and are convinced they date to the 1700s. But I'm not sure I've seen anything documenting that either.

Thanks for your reply, Bill. The latest site I've ever dug one of those on was a federal era site, but that's not much of a stretch in terms of time frame/saving a functioning lock and continuing to use it. I would love to know what they were used on. Too small to be of much use on doors/buildings.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
I know you two always have fun together even if you don't find much.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yah, me and Quindy will accept your rejects BB and DG. I think the bottle stopper is really a sweet find and the whole heel plate is too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread