Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a "batwing" or Baldric style button. That's pretty cool. I found two of them the same day along with a silver knee buckle earlier in the year. Here's the ones I found. Oh, how big is your's? Mine are quite large. They were also found in NY at a farm that's been in the same family since 1795.
DSC_0094 reduce size.jpg

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice buckle and iron find !! Probably theres other junk masking off the smaller signals, most old home sites often are iron infested.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The recent dry weather will limit your deep finds. It's always easier to find the deep stuff after a day or two of rain.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK nice buckle. As too why you didn't find much else . 1) the hole was already hit( although you'd think someone would have dug those big targets). 2) You need to hit the area better maybe find out where the barns were and area they did work say on their horses or oxen. 3) You are simply missing stuff in the iron so slow down and listen . Can you get a smaller coil for the ACE? I won't use the large stock coil on my ATP around cellar holes because the 5x8 is far superior at isolating stuff in the iron. Good luck

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the Batwings. Still looking for my 1st.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
still pretty cool finds and you are probably like me, the dirt is dry right now and there is a lot of iron to mask the smaller stuff. so like what was mentioned before, we need to hit our spots again a day or two after a good rain.

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe just need to hit it from different angles.

OP
OP
DiggityDiggity

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the helpful replies. I think I need to slow down. I've been hittin it with quick sweeps at a slow but steady pace. There's so much area to cover so I want to cover as much ground as possible. I've been focusing on the front of the foundation where I think the driveway was located. The ground was fairly wet. I'll be hitting it up again Sunday and update here if I find anything else. :)

@doninbrewster: Cool buckles dude! Yeah, this buckle is huge. I would say at least 3 to 4" wide. I was surprised at it's size when I dug it up.

@Gaspipe: I hate my stock coil so much. lol I need to get the smaller one for sure. I dont think this site has ever been hit. It's tucked away pretty well in a very remote location. There is an old barn foundation next to it. As you can imagine, the whole site is littered with iron. It's overwhelming. I discrimmed my signals to incorporate nickel and higher signals. Maybe I need to dig the deep iron signals too..

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the Buckle As well as the Smith Marked Iron.

Davers

OP
OP
DiggityDiggity

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the Buckle As well as the Smith Marked Iron.

Davers

Thanks Davers. Do you know anything about Smith Irons? I tried the googlemobile and didn't come up with much.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe just need to hit it from different angles.

This is GREAT advice! I've been hunting the same field for weeks now, but I'm still finding flat buttons and IHC's almost every day. I find them by changing the angle and the direction when I scan the area. One day I'll do the field the long way and the next day I'll go across the short way. Then on the third day, I'll do it diagonally. Works great, especially on "hunted out" fields.

I'm not sure why this is true, but some targets only show up in one direction or from one angle. If you mix it up, you will eventually find 95% of all the relics and coins there. Good luck and don't give up! Hit it again and again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread