Budget Sluices - which one?

sbsurfr74

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ya'll! I've been researching sluices for about a week and think I've narrowed down the list. As a poor college student, my sluice budget is around $50 or less. Anyway, I've been considering the JC AMY sluice (sold only on eBay), the E-Z sluice, or the Angus MacKirk Scout. Thoughts? Any other decent sluices at this price? Thanks so much for your help!

Also, I live near Los Padres National Forest in Southern CA. Is Piru still a good spot to pan/sluice? Or, should I make a weekend trip up to the Kern or elsewhere?

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
f you want a sluice to use in the river and not just a clean up sluice of the three you listed my choice would be the Angus MacKirk.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The angus mackirk sluice is a great sluice and are easy to setup.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agree, the AM choice is probably the best at your price point. A friend has the Scout and I own a larger AM which has worked well for me (although I only use my Bazookas these days).

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the EZ Sluice and the AM Scout, you'll be much happier with the Scout. Don't know about the other one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread