Building a "target field"

Brokenbear

Greenie
Dec 26, 2021
I'm old and new ..new to metal detecting and new to the forum ..but to learn my new Garrett Aoe 300 I am going to build/create and practice run in my yard .. I have just about every target item I need (metal buttons, Mercury dime, silver quarter, Indian head penny, pull tab, trinket grade ladies ring, small tinfoil wad, 10 penny nail, .69 caliber lead ball ...

Any other targets you all think I should add to learn by ..one thing I want add I do not have is a civil war minnie ball ..got to figure out where to buy one I guess

Bear

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
beer bottle cap, twist off cap, nickel (many rings can register as a nickel. If you discriminate out nickels, you'll miss many rings.) I always carry one in my pocket and check the detector over it before I take off MD'ing.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good idea! It will get more accurate with age. My garden is over 30yrs old. I buried some of my targets at different depths. Ocean is right on, some good items will read in the pulltab range. (Lazy diggers don't find rings!). Now I only wish I had made a map of it

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On your target field. Put numbered golf tees above each target and push them all the way down/Then take a sheet of paper and put the number on the paper and what is under each number

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the coins...Bury them flat,on an angle,and straight up on the edge.Interesting to see the different signals from the same coin :)

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
You will find a lot more stuff if you go and learn by digging everything. Just my opinion.
Test gardens are for testing new machines. Learning is doing.
He who finds the most trash finds the most treasure. Remember that as there is a heck of a lot more trash dropped than treasure.
I don't mind digging a pull tab. I never will after in 1985 a guy rented a machine for the day, went to city park and found one in a plug and once he removed the tab from the plug, found a $5 gold coin a couple inches deeper. The guy that detected the pull tab initially and didn't pick it up to dispose of properly still has no idea that he missed a gold coin by being stupid, lazy or both.
Food for thought.
Happy Hunting and Good Luck!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One trick I found helpful was to bury a dime beside but deeper or even below junk items like a bottle cap, ring pull tab and nail. Just to - #1 see if the detector showed the coin at all, and - #2 learn how coming at them from different angles changes the tone & reading. Some detectors just blank out because of the iron or trash and don't give you a sign it might be a multiple target.

OP
OP
B

Brokenbear

Greenie
Dec 26, 2021
Guys I am reading every one of your ideas and suggestions ..many thanks

One question I will find out when the ground thaws but ..is there any meter and/ or sound difference between a clad and a silver dime for example?

Bear

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread