What's new

Bulldog button?

capri_auto

Full Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
138
Reaction score
17
Golden Thread
0
My hunting partner found this on our last hunt, it appears to be a bulldog or maybe a pig? Any ideas? I've never seen anything like it before ???

Capri
 

Attachments

  • Bull Dog Button (front).webp
    Bull Dog Button (front).webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Bull Dog Button (back).webp
    Bull Dog Button (back).webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 267
  • Bull Dog Button (front).webp
    Bull Dog Button (front).webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Bull Dog Button (back).webp
    Bull Dog Button (back).webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 249
Pig. Looks like it had decorations riveted around the edge. I have seen buttons with iron swirls riveted on. Those show up on fur trade sites of c. 1800, and people call them North West Company buttons.
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
Pig. Looks like it had decorations riveted around the edge. I have seen buttons with iron swirls riveted on. Those show up on fur trade sites of c. 1800, and people call them North West Company buttons.

Thank you for the super fast ID, do you have any links showing similar buttons? I read up on the north west company and this is a very interesting piece of history!
 
Upvote 0
Pic from Voyageurs National Park artifact study.
 

Attachments

  • NWC-buttones-Birk.webp
    NWC-buttones-Birk.webp
    16.9 KB · Views: 215
Upvote 0
Sure doesnt look like any pig I have ever seen.Def. has a canine nose!
 
Upvote 0
It's hard to tell, maybe someone's seen this button before? I personally have never seen anything like it, but I don't know much about buttons
 
Upvote 0
This is from "The Complete Button Book" Albert/Kent, pg 226 in the Animals chapter under Dogs-

It says "7. Brass. Stamped in high relief. Faceted cut steel in rim. Actual Size"

(I measured the pic in the book and it is about 1 and 1/8" diameter)

96xpae.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
This is from "The Complete Button Book" Albert/Kent, pg 226 in the Animals chapter under Dogs-

It says "7. Brass. Stamped in high relief. Faceted cut steel in rim. Actual Size"

(I measured the pic in the book and it is about 1 and 1/8" diameter)

96xpae.jpg

Thats DEFF it, any info as t the age or maker? I need to get me some reference books. Thanks for posting!
 
Upvote 0
OK dog. Kuger wins! :hello2:

Nice ID Bramblefind. Cool to see the cut steel that didn't sit in the ground 200 years. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom