What's new

Bullet ID?

buddyb

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2010
Messages
85
Reaction score
43
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Garrett AT Pro
I would appreciate an ID on this rimfire casing. As you can see, it is flattened, so my best quess at the diamemter is .32-.34 and it is .55 inches long. I assume the US on the base means that it is a military round of some vintage?
Thanks in advance.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3388_1_1.webp
    IMG_3388_1_1.webp
    6.7 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_3389_1_1.webp
    IMG_3389_1_1.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 199
How about a .38 short manufactured by the United States Cartridge Company?

U.S. Cartridge Company

Company Origins
Established in 1869, the United States Cartridge Company was led by the controversial
attorney, politician, and Civil War general Benjamin F. Butler who, at the time, was a
Republican congressman from the Fifth Congressional District (Essex County). Butler
secured contracts for munitions with the federal government, which aided his fledgling
company, initially incorporated with a capital of $25,000.1 Additionally, the increasing
popularity of hunting, especially among the nation’s growing middle class, resulted in an
ever-greater demand for shotgun shells and rifle cartridges. The U.S. Cartridge Company
quickly grew to rival such major ammunition manufacturers as Remington and Winchester.

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • USheadstamp.webp
    USheadstamp.webp
    9.3 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0
Duh I was in a hurry and didn't read the whole description. :tongue3: That'll teach me. The bottom of a Hammond looks the same though but is .44 Sorry about that.
 
Upvote 0
I agree with the Professor. The centerfire version is still available today. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Thanks guys. You're right on with the US Cartridge Co. After getting your answer, I did some searching on them and found that the US in a recess was an early model base.
Hapy hunting,
buddyb
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom