Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out yesterday for a little while, really cool to be detecting in New York this time year.

Just modest finds wheat pennies, a memorial, horse shoe, ox shoe, and what I thought was a civil war era two ring bullet. I'm not so sure now that I measured the bullet and the caliber is 42.

I've tried scouring the Internet with no luck identifying this bullet. Does anyone have an idea how old this bullet is and what weapon it may have been fired from?

See photos, I show measurements.

Thanks, and happy hunting. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452430710.299082.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452430732.962845.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452430750.201684.jpg

Upvote 2
I found a similar bullet a few years back. I never got a good Id on it. Great that the weather has been warmer than normal giving us an early start on the new year.

I found a similar bullet a few years back. I never got a good Id on it. Great that the weather has been warmer than normal giving us an early start on the new year.

It is really cool that were out there in January detecting . Good luck this year!

Looks like a CS Gardner but the caliber is off. Those were .54 and .58 cal. I only know this because I've found one.

Could be post CS I would think. Nice find and good luck. There's a lot of very smart people on here that can help you a lot more.

Steve

Thanks for replying Steve, I thought the same about the Gardner, but the caliber really threw me off. HH

I wonder if it's from a modern day .45 cal. muzzloader utilizing a sabot? Or possibly a .444 marlin, or an old 44/40? Just guessing though. HH

44-40/ 44 special as mentioned (probably go with that)

Other possibles to search:

41 Swiss

10.4 Italian

I wonder if it's from a modern day .45 cal. muzzloader utilizing a sabot? Or possibly a .444 marlin, or an old 44/40? Just guessing though. HH

Thanks for reply :)

Sheesh, look at all the work you created by finding one stinking bullet, , lol
Pretty cool find Andy, Congrats and good luck with the I.D.

Got out yesterday for a little while, really cool to be detecting in New York this time year.

Just modest finds wheat pennies, a memorial, horse shoe, ox shoe, and what I thought was a civil war era two ring bullet. I'm not so sure now that I measured the bullet and the caliber is 42.

I've tried scouring the Internet with no luck identifying this bullet. Does anyone have an idea how old this bullet is and what weapon it may have been fired from?

See photos, I show measurements.

Thanks, and happy hunting.View attachment 1258436View attachment 1258437View attachment 1258438

Its a modern black powder round, not sure the exact round as I am "working" and cant look it up :laughing7:

Its a modern black powder round, not sure the exact round as I am "working" and cant look it up :laughing7:

Thanks for all your "work" with ID help ;)

I guess it's not as old as I believed, oh I'll just keep on diggin. :)

The Good lord seems to be taking it easy on you guys up there this year.Glad he is taking easy down here too because I didn't gather as much fire wood this year:laughing7:Nice digs!I agree more modern.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back