What's new

BULLET IDENTIFICATION

HistoryPirate

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
6
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently a .52 caliber.

I want to know more.

Thank you in Advance for your help.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6901.webp
    IMG_6901.webp
    151.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6962.webp
    IMG_6962.webp
    33.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6963.webp
    IMG_6963.webp
    43.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5407.webp
    IMG_5407.webp
    88.8 KB · Views: 68
Your bullet's caliber (about .45) and its form indicate late-1800s manufacture. Its length indicates it is a rifle bullet, not for a pistol. I cannot find an exact match for it, but the closest is an 1882-pattern Maynard bullet. See the image below.
 

Attachments

  • bullets_POSTWAR_Maynard_1882model_110_RockyMountainBulletMagazine_sca.webp
    bullets_POSTWAR_Maynard_1882model_110_RockyMountainBulletMagazine_sca.webp
    43.6 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 0
Thank you for taking the time to help me. I will continue to research it.
 
Upvote 0
I think you found a 45-70 round nose cast bullet designed for a gas check. Here is a picture of a bullet with a gas check.

Bullet.webp
 
Upvote 0
I was tempted to call it a .52 ringtail Sharps but the nose on your bullet is more rounded. I'm thinging your bullet is more modern than CW period. Just my opinion. Nice find.
 
Upvote 0
And welcome to Tnet.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom