Bullets from possible old camp?

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Macro Siplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these bullets in a field behind my house. Most of them look to be fired musket balls and a couple other odd ones. I’ve also found a few arrowheads in the same exact space. This field is not very big, but these were all in that same space. Could this be a possible old skirmish site of some kind? And does anybody know what the ringed bullets could have been from? Sorry for the poor condition. Most of them have been fired and are really bent up. I also found a strange musket ball that had a line around the outside of it and a small bump at the top.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice little collection! Most of them appear to be pistol balls. The 'bump' on the one ball is called a sprue. The bump is extra lead from the channel where the liquid lead was poured into the mold. That ball, along with the arrow heads, tells us that this was a good campsite once upon a time. Fired balls in a camp might indicate target practice. Keep digging and dig some iron pieces. Those will give clues about who camped there.

The disks are often said to be game pieces or poker chips. Also indicative of a campsite. They are simply bullets that were pounded flat.

Hard to say what the piece with rings on it is. Maybe the remains of a Minie ball or maybe a more modern bullet. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nathan6309

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Macro Siplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s been a while, but I decided to do further research into the area and learned that the 15 Pennsylvania Cavalry regiment passed over my area from the county of Floyd to get to the city of Salem Virginia. That might explain a lot of the pistol balls. I also found the remains of an old knife, melted/folded lead, some of which is in the photo, and a bunch of horseshoes in a small vicinity. Might have been one of their many campsites that they made while in the area. Thanks for all of the ideas!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions