JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514226046.187423.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514226061.179952.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514226095.303870.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514226109.450904.jpg

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You did not give us any size measurements, which are particularly necessary for correct bullet identification (such as, diameter is .425-inch), so we can't ID them for you with much certainty.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/136849-please-read-before-posting-items-what.html

That being said, the first bullet looks like a modern "Maxi-Ball" made for use in Blackpowder firearms target-shooting or game-hunting. In the photo below showing three varieties of Maxi-Ball, yours is the one on the left. In that photo, the yellow in the bullet's body-grooves is a bore lubricant. The other photo shows a larger-caliber one (which is also longer than yours), and the box they come in.

Your other bullet appears to a fired .30-caliber-or-thereabouts copper-jacketed lead rifle bullet whose front end "mushroomed" on impact.

Attachments

• bullet_MODERN_blackpowder_Maxiball_short-medium-tall_7795Medium.jpg
    bullet_MODERN_blackpowder_Maxiball_short-medium-tall_7795Medium.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 200
  • bullet_MODERN_blackpowder_Maxiball_Texas-slugs_CWP.jpg
    bullet_MODERN_blackpowder_Maxiball_Texas-slugs_CWP.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did not give us any size measurements, which are particularly necessary for correct bullet identification (such as, diameter is .425-inch), so we can't ID them for you with much certainty.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/136849-please-read-before-posting-items-what.html

That being said, the first bullet looks like a modern "Maxi-Ball" made for use in Blackpowder firearms target-shooting or game-hunting. In the photo below showing three varieties of Maxi-Ball, yours is the one on the left. In that photo, the yellow in the bullet's body-grooves is a bore lubricant. The other photo shows a larger-caliber one (which is also longer than yours), and the box they come in.

Your other bullet appears to a fired .30-caliber-or-thereabouts copper-jacketed lead rifle bullet whose front end "mushroomed" on impact.

Thank you! I apologize for not correctly posting this, i'll be sure that in the future I post my items in the right way.

Upvote 0

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the second item is a fired bullet, (not 100% convinced on the muzzle loader round either), are there rifling marks anywhere on the sides? Especially on the second item? The base of the second item doesn't look right to be a bullet.....also I've never seen a rifle bullet mushroom like that plus the lead to copper ratio looks off as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think the second item is a fired bullet, (not 100% convinced on the muzzle loader round either), are there rifling marks anywhere on the sides? Especially on the second item? The base of the second item doesn't look right to be a bullet.....also I've never seen a rifle bullet mushroom like that plus the lead to copper ratio looks off as well.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514472803.287159.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514472824.505771.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514472890.101567.jpg

Upvote 0

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I see a rifling mark on the bullet for sure.....oddest bullet I've ever seen...thanks for showing that!

Is there more than one rifling mark on the one in the second picture?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I see a rifling mark on the bullet for sure.....oddest bullet I've ever seen...thanks for showing that!

Is there more than one rifling mark on the one in the second picture?

I see about 3, possibly 4.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread