What's new

Bullied by Laws, any suggestions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter michigan michael
  • Start date Start date
In the smaller towns I usually just let the local sheriff know that I am out with my detector, and won't do any damage....never had anyone tell me no yet....When I leave an area it is very difficult to tell I was there.
 
I agree with Tom on all this about asking for permission. The first thought that comes to their mind is, "No."

You never detect a school when there are classes going on and try not to bring attention to yourself. I've hunted many parks that were supposed to be closed to detecting and if I was approached I say I didn't know about it and ask if it is ok to finish out the day. Many times I was told to go ahead. The times I was told it was the LAW, I left quietly as the person was on a power trip. It is important to research the area you want to hunt yourself without bring it to anyone's attention.

It is a NO-NO to walk around the park with a knife out for a probe too.
 
I had a park caretaker explain to me one time, about what the city authorities don't want. Once a person M'detecting left the park looking like the gophers made a bunch of holes.

Because of this, I find pinpointing more important and starting small...maybe just a slot and pulling it aprt wider some. Anyway, leaving gopher-like holes is not acceptable to authorities.

I bought from Kellyco recently a heavy duty digging trowel, 2" wide to enable me to dig smaller and deeper in parks now. The screw driver with a teaspoon just wasn't getting down deep enough for some good targets. I think the teaspoon might still be a good idea for getting dirt up, if the spoon is bent some so the dirt doesn't drop back into the hole. Maybe add or attach something to it, for a long handle.
 
Show me a archaeologist or a park ranger that says he does not have a arrow head collection & I'll show you a lire. They don't want us hunting but they are the first ones to pick up an artifact & take it home with them. By law the toy I buried when I was 5 is now a artifact & I can't dig it up, is that not a joke. Or how about that paps beer can that was thrown away 50 years ago.
 
What about those old style of aluminum pull tabs, so common in parks. I'm not sure about the date they started...probably on the first aluminum can. Now, fifty year old pull tabs? You could say even a pull tab has some value...aluminum can be recycled. In a sense you might be able to call it "historical relic" because they don't make them now. Modern ones are attached to the can...people break them off anyway.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom