Hi Terry,
In a way I lucked out as a couple of years back this area had a sizeable forest fire which has limited the food for bears in this area so the major portion of them have left. I could have carried my .22 kit gun with me this year and would still have never used it as no bears were near me. One ground squirrel was a pest, ate into some food bags, so it had to go.
I'm in Foresthill right now and we've a major storm coming in on us, oh wait it will hit you as well. It will be interesting to see what it actually amounts to especially as on Thursday I'm supposed to meet another friend at his claim near by. I do not feel like hiking in during a storm or out for that matter especially at this time of year.
The San Diego thing will be good for me so I want it to happen. It will also be good for the company if I'm there so I doubly want it to happen. My work should significantly improve the companies outlook to investors, will bring about new medical products that will actually help people and be less expensive than current products and I've a lot of stock in the company so if they sell it well that would also be a good thing for me (that could bring about the building of a cabin somewhere on property that I would own and then there would be the 4x4 rig parked next to the simple fishing boat w/15 to 25 horsepower motor and similar other items for the enjoyment of a simple life, now just where that would be is still in question).
Your back pain is of concern to me as when I'm not in good shape mine acts up but to deal with it all the time does not sound pleasant. Have you ever tried out a magnetic waist belt? Nikken products makes one that I believe in and though it is expensive it does help to bring my back into a more healthy state when I've been bad to it.
My last hike was an indulgence in self torture as I really overdid the weight of the pack, just too many toys with me. Of course all my packs this summer have been heavy as that is just my norm but the last one was way over board. But then as I've been hiking this summer for about 3 months my physical condition has improved and I feel much better than at the start of the summer. Some day I may learn how to pack a light pack but, do not hold your breath.
Take care and continue having fun, 63