Bummed

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted about 3- 4 weeks ago I had ordered a new GT, I wanted to get a good machine the 1st time around. I got out yesterday for the 1st time for about 3 hours, I had an awesome time with my son and found a couple of wheaties and a bunch of clad at an old local playground... just trying to get a feel for the GT. Today we go back out, this time to a small local beach about 20 minutes away which is where my mom says she lost her class ring 50 years ago. I detected for about 10 minutes and was walking to another area when my GT started squealing and wouldn't stop. I figured the rechargable battery must have died after only a few hours of MDing. I shut it off, pulled out the battery pack and reloaded the GT with the other pack including 8 new energizers. Turn the switch on and nothing. I make sure I put in the batteries correctly, turn it on again and nothing. Get 8 more new energizers and nothing. Put in the rechargable battery pack and nothing. Check all connections, still zippo. I give up and go home, recharge the pack, still nothing. I can't get the darn thing to turn on, connections are all in, the settings are all correct!! What the heck!! 3 hours!!?? And I'm going to Florida in 10 days and was counting on having my GT for this trip. To say I'm bummed out is really an understatement. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated??

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Any chance it could be your headphones?

I'm just going to throw out some stuff just to double check.

Is there any power LED on this detector? If so does it light up?

Turn it on and wiggle the volume knob a bunch and see if the audio crackles at all... maybe a dirty volume control? Doesn't sound like it if it's brand new.

This one has that Threshold/Silent Search feature... make sure it's set to Threshold and crank up the Threshold Volume?

Check coil connection.

If you got this from a local dealer, call them now. You might be able to get something in time for your trip. If an online order, call them monday morning and they might be able to send you a replacement allowing you to send your old one back at the same time the send the replacement. If that won't work and you can afford to buy another new one, just return the old one under the 30 day money back guarentee if that exists and buy the new one and get that processes going at the same time. One last way if you have restocking fees to deal with, is that it still could be cheaper to return with those fees and buy from a local dealer that could drop ship your new detector to your house, or even your vacation spot?

Hope you get a working solution... this is definitely a good reason to own a couple detectors... just in case.
Definitely sounds like you quadruple checked the batteries already.

OP
OP
My Precious

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brett said:
Any chance it could be your headphones?

I'm just going to throw out some stuff just to double check.

Is there any power LED on this detector? If so does it light up?

Turn it on and wiggle the volume knob a bunch and see if the audio crackles at all... maybe a dirty volume control? Doesn't sound like it if it's brand new.

This one has that Threshold/Silent Search feature... make sure it's set to Threshold and crank up the Threshold Volume?

Check coil connection.

If you got this from a local dealer, call them now. You might be able to get something in time for your trip. If an online order, call them monday morning and they might be able to send you a replacement allowing you to send your old one back at the same time the send the replacement. If that won't work and you can afford to buy another new one, just return the old one under the 30 day money back guarentee if that exists and buy the new one and get that processes going at the same time. One last way if you have restocking fees to deal with, is that it still could be cheaper to return with those fees and buy from a local dealer that could drop ship your new detector to your house, or even your vacation spot?

Hope you get a working solution... this is definitely a good reason to own a couple detectors... just in case.
Definitely sounds like you quadruple checked the batteries already.

Funny you mentioned the headphones, the first day I detected for the three hours my headphones, which came new with the detector, quit working after the first hour. I had been using the GT without headphones so it's not that. There's no LED light on it, the silent switch is in the right position, threshold is turned all the way up, I checked the coil connection at both ends, it doesn't crackle or make any noise at all... it just seems dead. Thanks Brett for the reply and suggestions, it looks like I'll be contacting a couple of companies tomorrow.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact them Immediately Maybe they
can Replace it Fast.

Does sound like the Battery warning
when you said it Squealed

but i wonder if it fried something :(

Irontask

Mar 21, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab/ Explorer ll/ Sovereign/ Tesoro Tiger Shark
The Sovereign death squaw.These unit are usually bullet proof I have owned at least five of these metal detectors.Again I would make sure the rechargeable is fully charged and the alkaline batteries are good and in proper order placement. The detector was working until the pack was changed,probably a simple fix. Good Luck Ron

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Irontask said:
These unit are usually bullet proof I have owned at least five of these metal detectors.

FWIW: That is a very unusual statement ;) I'm sure they are bullet proof, and I'm sure you didn't have any problem with your five different detectors... but then there's that whole weird looming question that makes the statement unusual. Heh. I'm having one of those, I feel like typing moments. Don't mind me :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he must have bought a new on everytime they upgraded :D

I'm still on my Late 90's Model :P

and would probably be using the same Rechharable
If I hadn't left it at a hunting site somewhere
a couple years ago

OP
OP
My Precious

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
can Replace it Fast.

Well, the bumming out continues for me. First thing today I called Kellyco, that's who I ordered from, and spoke with a rep who troubleshot with the same suggestions as posted here. I still can't get it to turn on. They also told me I needed to contact Minelab as it's past 30 days...great. So in NY time I wait until noon and call Minelab, talk to a sectretary who couldn't really help other than to tell me I'd be called in the afternoon, which would be 6pm - 8pm NY time. I wait until 7:40 pm and no call... so I dial Minelab again...and he's on another line. It's closing in on their closing time and I work 16 hour shifts the next 2 days so I'm bummed out... phone is ringing!! it was 8:10 pm my time, 5:10 their time which means it was past closing!! and they still called... Yes!! It's on its way to Vegas tomorrow for all new electronics, and they said if I ship it overnight they'll work on it immediately and ship it back 2 day so I have it for Florida!! WooHoo it's looking better now!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where in Florida are you going?

Remember it is very important to protect it from the salt spray. They are great beach detectors, I own 2 of them, but you have to protect them from the salt spray....

OP
OP
My Precious

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:

Remember it is very important to protect it from the salt spray. They are great beach detectors, I own 2 of them, but you have to protect them from the salt spray....
Inlaws live at the south outlet of Okachobee, probably not spelled correctly, around Clewiston. So I can go East or West coast in about the same time frame. Any suggestions of a beach I can try? Plane lands in Fort Lauderdale, been over on the Fort Meyers side, visited Nokomis beach too but never to detect. I'd appreciate a suggestion. Thanks .. JIM

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
j.raud said:
jeff of pa said:
can Replace it Fast.

Well, the bumming out continues for me. First thing today I called Kellyco, that's who I ordered from, and spoke with a rep who troubleshot with the same suggestions as posted here. I still can't get it to turn on. They also told me I needed to contact Minelab as it's past 30 days...great. So in NY time I wait until noon and call Minelab, talk to a sectretary who couldn't really help other than to tell me I'd be called in the afternoon, which would be 6pm - 8pm NY time. I wait until 7:40 pm and no call... so I dial Minelab again...and he's on another line. It's closing in on their closing time and I work 16 hour shifts the next 2 days so I'm bummed out... phone is ringing!! it was 8:10 pm my time, 5:10 their time which means it was past closing!! and they still called... Yes!! It's on its way to Vegas tomorrow for all new electronics, and they said if I ship it overnight they'll work on it immediately and ship it back 2 day so I have it for Florida!! WooHoo it's looking better now!!

The way your Post started Out
I Was feeling Realy Bad for you.

I Agree WooHoo !

Keep us updated.

Jeff

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
j.raud said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

Inlaws live at the south outlet of Okachobee, probably not spelled correctly, around Clewiston. So I can go East or West coast in about the same time frame. Any suggestions of a beach I can try? Plane lands in Fort Lauderdale, been over on the Fort Meyers side, visited Nokomis beach too but never to detect. I'd appreciate a suggestion. Thanks .. JIM

I would hit the beachs south, in Miami, South Beach to Key Biscayne. If you want to go west hit Sanibel Island / Fr Meyers, or Naples area, but I would hit Sanibel Island on that side first. Driving distance to either coast is about the same distance, and if it was me I would head south to the South Beach area of Miami area and only hunt there............

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Treasure_Hunter said:
j.raud said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

I would hit the beachs south, in Miami, South Beach to Key Biscayne. If you want to go west hit Sanibel Island / Fr Meyers, or Naples area, but I would hit Sanibel Island on that side first. Driving distance to either coast is about the same distance, and if it was me I would head south to the South Beach area of Miami area and only hunt there............

My Dad was JUST at Sanibel Island and Fort Meyers about two weeks ago around spring break time and only found some clad... in 4 days or so he came away with about 16 bucks in clad. I don't believe he did much water hunting though. My best Florida hunting was in the bay waters south of Tampa, around Cortez. I found my first gold ring there with my Ace 250 at the time. The beaches were picked clean though! I'll see if my Dad has any tips for you ;) Right now I'm thinking East coast just because it's different! But that's just me.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brett said:
Right now I'm thinking East coast just because it's different! But that's just me.

It is different, but remember it is also usually a lot rougher on the atlantic side then the gulf side. If your not in the water it want matter, but in the surf it is usually a major difference.

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Glad to hear ML is helping ya out in a crunch! Like Brett mentioned, I was down in Ft. Myers for a week but only hit Sanibel Island the last day. You'll have to pay a $6 toll to get on the island (free to get back off... how nice of them :icon_pirat: ) Parking at the beach, if you can find a spot, is $2 a hour. The beach there was soooo clean, I don't recall even digging a pulltab. But the place is beautiful and worth the trip. I did better on the causeway areas when leaving. Free parking and plenty of shade trees to park under. Good luck!

OP
OP
My Precious

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!! I'll definetly get out the map and look these beaches over!!

OP
OP
My Precious

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a quick update. My plane leaves for Florida tomorrow and the GT isn't back yet and most likely won't. My wife sent it out Priority mail and not express which saved $ but didn't get it there in 1 day, but 3. It's there in Vegas though and being fixed. Everything happens for a reason so I'm trying to keep my chins up. I originally ordered this from Kellyco along with a $80 Viper Trident to try in the fresh water lakes where I live but it doesn't sound like it gets any rave reviews especially around saltwater but maybe I can stay in the sand or find something inland to swipe. I haven't even taken this out the box yet so I need to get busy... oh and a little side note...it's was real cold here today only reaching 30 and blowing like crazy, snowing, freezing rain, the MDing season here will be a challenge but when I get off the plane tomorrow and it's 85 I'll be loving it.

slykatt13

May 16, 2009
ny
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 50/minelab safari
battery connections inside detector.they flatten out and lose their springyness.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what was the problem ?

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am waiting to hear too, as well as how you did in FL. I had my detector squeal like crazy once too. The battery was just low. Also, it is important to make sure all coil connections are tight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread