Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are more pirate buried treasures to research and search for and recovered in the great state of Connecticut. Good luck and good hunting. We may run into each other.

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Oh, yeah. What could go wrong here? "Sure, go on that fishing trip. I'll keep an eye on your supermodel wife and make sure she's OK." "Awesome! I just made a deal with the federal government to dig up some Civil War gold bars and I get to keep some!" "Yeah, baby! Spain told me to find that wreck and they won't lay claim to it." "Don't worry. Open wi-fi networks are the way to go these days."

Best explanation of all. Story simply made no sense.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday amigos.

Regardless if the story was true or not? What amazes me with tnet the people here all too quick to make assumptions without making any attempt to do a little research for some facts.

For me at least I treat these treasure yarns as treasure research exercises. So researching these stories are not in vain. You can learn a lot of research skills regardless from them.

"For example in 2 hours of tinkering...I found out the identity of Barney Reynolds who was born in 1892 in New Haven. In 1940 aged 42 he was living alms house institution called Springside home, It was in essence a poor house."

So after two hours you came up with an age of 42!?!?!? It took me two seconds to figure his age to be 48. Or am I being too quick with my facts?

That date was a typo amigo. My vision in typing these days is not great. 48 is correct. But the point I am making too many here are too eager for making comments than do research.

Crow

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What surprised me about this thread was that no one seemed to derail...

"There was a pit fully eight feet deep and about five feet square, the walls lined with large slabs of smooth granite too perfectly placed to have been naturally formed."

As a famous comedian coined "Here's your sign".

This Should be your first... and for me... the ONLY "red flag" needed to take pause. heh

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found any evidence that ANY Pirate ever buried ANY treasure....

I always thought it was a ruse by Pirates to negotiate for freedom by giving up the location in return.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never found any evidence that ANY Pirate ever buried ANY treasure....

I always thought it was a ruse by Pirates to negotiate for freedom by giving up the location in return.

Gidday xaos

We have to look in the context of the time. Theft among pirates was common. Some proceeds of crime cannot be sold off quickly and avoid suspicion. Wages for seaman at the time was small. In port a seaman spending money many times thier yearly wage attracts attention amigo. Banking at the time was not generally available to common sailor. So you was at the mercy of your fellow shipmates . So most gambled drunk or spent what money they had stolen in the many brothels that lined such sea ports. But that would be an assumption to think all did that.

The fact of matter some did. An example is an old sailor suspected being a pirate on Tristan de Cruna buried his private hoard of pieces of 8 in the floor of a cave. Visiting the island you can see the coins recovered from the cave that was buried in an iron pot.

Apologies in advance the auto text on the phone changes things.

Crow

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
The fact of matter some did. An example is an old sailor suspected being a pirate on Tristan de Cruna buried his private hoard of pieces of 8 in the floor of a cave. Visiting the island you can see the coins recovered from the cave that was buried in an iron pot.

I think a lot of this is the difference between the glamorized myth and the reality. When most people think of pirate treasure they have an image of a giant steamer trunk, overflowing with gold, silver and jewels. That's the myth. A pirate burying an iron pot with a stash of coins so he could have some walking around money the next time he was in port is the reality. Like you said, banks weren't what we now see. For millennia, soldiers carried all their money with them because they couldn't trust anyone back home with them. I think we see a similar thing going on when we read about the recluse who supposedly had a fortune buried somewhere on their property and a big legend grows out of it. In reality, they most likely had a stash of money that they didn't feel secure leaving in the house, or didn't trust banks because they lost their life savings in the Great Depression. Lots of people bury some money. Very few people bury lots of money.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hola Amigos

I know what that scallywag of a raggedy old feathered dead beat of a pirate er....Crow means.:tongue3:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...tish-overseas-territory-tristan-da-cunha.html

Kanacki

I have you know I am a well behaved pirate these days almost a saint.:tongue3:

Me personally the vast majority of caches will be small ones. However I would not rule bigger caches given certain circumstances.

Like having vessel falling apart and no safe harbor to dispose of treasure.

Kinda like the old love tub amigo.

Crow

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Crow

Nothing wrong with Love Tub I recall it carried your sorry ass around in it for 11 months. Its sailed the oceans for 71 years and still going strong. She is going on a extensive overhaul.

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hola Crow

Nothing wrong with Love Tub I recall it carried your sorry ass around in it for 11 months. Its sailed the oceans for 71 years and still going strong. She is going on a extensive overhaul.

Kanacki

I know ya said your retired but I know ya eager to unfurl the sails again., Perhaps once gain amigo when covid is over and borders are open?

Crow

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read the Ledengs under Connecticut forum, interesting pirates stories.

Plenty of treasure legends Amigo.Connecticut has a long history piracy and smuggling. Trouble for me these days it a very long journey. I have to sail from Micronesia to Panama, across the Caribbean past Florida and up the east coast using the gulf stream. And pick the right time a year avoiding hurricanes and squalls on the new England coast.

I had the chance to visit Bridgeport once but weather pushed up from the gulf stream dictated other wise. The problem with having a tall ship amigo most of towns and cities are very welcoming to a visiting tall ship before you know it your invited by yacht clubs or sail race with the local based tall ship. Invited into peoples homes and towns to see the sights. Leaving very little time for searching for treasure.

People just love seeing old tall ships visit. The East coast the spirit of sail is in their blood and to see an old lady of the sea arrive stirrs the blood amigo.

24.jpg

Kanacki

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been detecting since 1975 at age 12
there has always been all kinds of tales about Kidd coming up the CT. river and burying things here and there
and then turning around back south back out to sea
there is an island that they actually named Kidd island in the Conn. river
A friend of my friend detected some of those islands
years ago - He promised his friend that he would not reveal his fininds
but that was in the early 1980s and friend is now gone
every one says all the tales are false but my friend says he was
shown 9 pieces of eight his friend said he found and not too far from Kidd's island
like within a mile...sooo
believe what you believe - was it part of a cache of Kidd's :dontknow:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Amigo

There is a newspaper story in the Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), Friday 24 January 1902, page 4

That gives the following story.

SOME OF CAPTAIN KIDD’S BOOTY.

NEW LONDON. Conn., Nov. 9.

The recent death of John R. Bolles, author and historian, and known as “the father of Connecticut's navy yard," has brought to light a Captain Kidd story.

which tells of the finding of ?25.000 dol. of the pirate's buried treasure. The find was in I83O. Mr Belles never spoke off; until his latter years. Mr Bolles was born 94 years ago. Or his maternal side he descended from Join. Rogers, from whom the Connecticut Quakers received the name of Rogerenes.

Rogers settled close to the Bolleses.Now called at present Harrison's Landing, on the New London northern division of the Central Vermont Railroad. Both farms were celebrated at the time they were laid out, 1668, as coming to a point at a beautiful cold, pebbly spring, which has always been famous among whale men and others making long voyages for its purity and sweetness-This spring is now at- 'the head of a small cove which opens into the Thames River.

It is known as Sweet Water Spring. For a time Kidd's vessel lay off the spring. Kidd was described by the last of the Bolleses as a tall, black bearded man. Wearing scarlet cape, a slouch hat with a drooping purple plume, a long sword, a brace of gold mounted pistols, and his clothing richly trimmed with gold braid. Most of the pirate's time here was spent with a family named Mills, who were among the Quakers near the spring.

Several daughters in this family did sewing for the pirate and his crew, receiving in pay laces, silks, and trinkets. _ Some of this lace is still in the possession of descendants of the Rogerenes. Seventy-five years after Kidd was hanged one of the Rogers family, while walking down to the Sweet Water Spring stepped upon some frost-loosened earth on the bank, and his right leg went into the ground above the knee.

His foot struck some sharp substance, and he cleared away the earth enough to find crumbling planks that covered two trving-out pots, such as are used to try out nil in whale ships. Both were full of coins, both gold and silver Captain Kidd’s memory flashed through his brain.

Covering up the pots he determined to let the secret die with him. This resolution he broke by telling his wife of it when he was dying, taking care to make her promise never to divulge the secret unless someone in the family should become hampered by the want of money?

Mrs Rogers revealed the story before her death to descendants of the Mills family, who had bought the place. About 60 years after this, in 1839, when John R. Bolles was a young man, two of the Mills boys made use of the secret, their fortunes being in a bad way.

They used a sounding rod and sounded all about the spring, according to the Bolles story, until they struck the money. It is said that the money laid the foundation of fortunes for the Bolles, who subsequently lived in New York City and in the West.

This newspaper story came out in 1902 was there any truth to this story or just a family legend?

Kanacki

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good captain Kidd is no longer with us. There were other pirates here in Connecticut then him.. Good hunting and good luck.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The good captain Kidd is no longer with us. There were other pirates here in Connecticut then him.. Good hunting and good luck.

Giiday Sam

Its a pet hate of mine whenever the media makes a careless assumption that all pirate treasure legends are connected to either Captain Kidd or Blackbeard. In fact many caches may not be even related to piracy.

The reality there was perhaps thousands of sailors over 200 years have engaged in the merchant trade. whaling, fishing, privateering, smuggling, slaves trade that all could contribute in some way to buried caches of money becoming a hidden. A sailors lot was rather crap living in the focastle of a ship with no privacy. Theft among crew members common or money gamed on Dice booze and wild women.

Academia are rather guilty of making the assumption that all sailors were drunks and spent all their money like water. In reality it was not the case. Records show some actually worked their away to save enough to buy land and eventually farm.

Banking in the 18th 19th century was virtually non existent for the common working man. So What does a sailor do when saving his money? If he takes it with him he is being at risk of being robbed by his fellow shipmates. Many Sailors most likely had hiding sports in areas along the coast where they came from. Long voyages across the seas many sailed out again either killed in battle, drowned in storms whens vessels sink. Never returning to their buried savings bank.

New England coast and Connecticut must have still many hidden caches from those times?

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread