Button ? Anchor & Crown ?

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this button today in a parking strip... Too corroded to make out what it says on the back. May be worthless? Anyone have an idea when i button1.png Button2.png t was made and for what?

Thanks Gary from Oregon

Upvote 3

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Button! Made for holding something closed or just for good looks! Did I win a prize?:laughing7:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your button shows the emblem of the British Royal Navy. It has been in use on their Officer buttons from 1812 up to today. More specifically, 2-piece buttons like yours have had it since 1843. Initially, the anchor was tall and the crown was small. Gradually, over the passage of many decades, the crown became larger and the anchor got shorter and shorter... as we see with your button's very short-and-wide anchor. Because the backmark on your button has been corroded away, it is very difficult to "narrowly" time-date it. That being said, your button has a thin rope-border on its outer edge. Look for the big crown, short-&-wide anchor, and narrow rope-border at the following two webpages:
Diana's Buttons - Reference - British Navy Buttons
Navy buttons
I should mention, a button-knowledgeable British member of T-Net has reported that the Colchester Treasure Hunting club website's info is "significantly less reliable" than the Diana webpage's info.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
British Navy, it's not that clear, but I would place it in the early-mid 20th C.

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone so much for all of this info!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread