Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone!
I've been going back to the farm I referenced in a previous thread about buttons (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/608958-first-flat-buttons.html), and today I found one that actually has a backmark.

Two requests:
1. can you suggest methods to try to clean the green stuff off the back of the button without damaging it?

2. can you help identify it please? I'm able to read "...mmond" and with that I was able to figure out (through lots of google image searches) that it's a Hammond Turner & Sons button. (if you now look at the button, you can make out those words at least). So I believe it's a button from between 1820 and 1850 based on history of that company.

But I know there's more on the back of the button, and the rest of the writing should help to narrow down the identification.
In the bottom image I think I can see the letters "FOR" (at 2:00 position of inner ring) and also the letters "WEN &" (at 8:00 position of inner ring). Other than that, I'm not sure...

Ideas?

8iVohix.png
tHxUOos.jpg

Upvote 6

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct on the time frame of the button. It's a civilian pattern. I would not touch it, there isn't much to be gained. If you want more green off try the Andre's Pencils, unlike chemicals, you can remove exactly what you want and leave the rest alone. l love those old buttons.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Smokey! I won't touch it.
I've been doing some more research (because it's the first button I've ever found with a Backmark....but I hope the excitement never dies!), and I found the following image on the Hammond-Turner.com website. I think this is what my Backmark should look like:
7zn2BIr.jpg
Image 14 from this website: https://hammond-turner.com/index.php/button-gallery/backmarks-hammond-turner-etc-and-others.

So the rest of the letters are "For John Bowen & Co."

From other posts on Treasurenet it looks like John Bowen & Co was a clothing maker in England that dissolved in 1834, so this button would predate that!

Last edited:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not found too many buttons but I've tried soaking it in lemon juice and rinsing with water. This method seems pretty benign. The Naval Jelly method which I read about on here can work wonders but it can also totally wreck your button if you let the stuff sit on the button too long. Even 5 minutes may be too long. Its a pretty strong acid. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread