Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
These are buttons I have found recently on 3 sites within a few km of one another and along the same navigable river. They range in size from 13/16" to 5/16". The backmarks can be read from the photos. I have not been able to find the specific makers W C EDINR (Edinburgh?) or JAS E? Co. I notice that that the "TREBLE GUIL STANDARD COLOUR" uses the English spelling of colour. I have never seen another like the one with the loop soldered on to an embossed back that looks like it was a front. Perhaps a reversible pattern that could be made with either an embossed or plain front depending upon which side the loop was on? These were found on sites that had other artifacts, including coins, dating from the early 1700s to the mid 1800s. I am wondering whether these buttons are of the same time. I would also be interested in knowing more specifics about these buttons if anyone has expertise on them.

Attachments

• IMG_5724.JPG
    IMG_5724.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 275
  • IMG_5726.JPG
    IMG_5726.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_5734.JPG
    IMG_5734.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_5737.JPG
    IMG_5737.JPG
    783.4 KB · Views: 117

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
These buttons look to be from around 1790-1840. They most likely civilian, most militia buttons have some distinct charactoristic, such as a state seal, though some very poor militia used blank flat buttons. Buttons with raised/embosed back marks were made engraved/sunken back mark s were made from 1790-1830, where as the ones with the engraved/sunken back marks were made from 1800-1840. Your last button looks to be an example of "raised/embossed backmarks", where as your first two look to be examples of "engraved/sunken backmarks". Most of these flat buttons were gold gilded at one point, but the gilt is unnoticeable due to corrosion. The thicker buttons are usually newer than the thinner, and somtimes curved flat buttons (most of the buttons with the raised backmarks are thinner and curved). Most of these buttons were made in London, though some of them were made in the north-eastern United States. I'm writing this reply on a mobile phone, so it's hard for me to try to find the company, so when I get on the computer I will try to find the company on the backmarks. Note: backmarks buttons that only say things such as "Standard" or "Yellow Coulor" and other writing unrelated to the maker are known as quality marks. Buttons that have backmarks saying "coulor" instead of "color" are most often made in England, usually London. The symbols on the third button are most likely maker symbols, most often on buttons made in London. I found a button with the "Prince of wales" symbol and then "London". Anyways, awesome buttons, I always love finding them

Coinman123,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Student of History

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Nautillus DMC 2B
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some info about your buttons

These are buttons I have found recently on 3 sites within a few km of one another and along the same navigable river. They range in size from 13/16" to 5/16". The backmarks can be read from the photos. I have not been able to find the specific makers W C EDINR (Edinburgh?) or JAS E? Co. I notice that that the "TREBLE GUIL STANDARD COLOUR" uses the English spelling of colour. I have never seen another like the one with the loop soldered on to an embossed back that looks like it was a front. Perhaps a reversible pattern that could be made with either an embossed or plain front depending upon which side the loop was on? These were found on sites that had other artifacts, including coins, dating from the early 1700s to the mid 1800s. I am wondering whether these buttons are of the same time. I would also be interested in knowing more specifics about these buttons if anyone has expertise on them.

Almy,

I know it has been 4 years since you posted these buttons, but i do have some information regarding the button with the unusual pictorial backmark. The other two buttons date about 1810-1830, the one with the WC backmark is most probably the initials of a Tailor, there are several with those initials in the Edinburgh Directories so can't narrow down which tailor used the button. The other is also probably not a button maker but rather a dry goods merchant or linnen-draper or haberdasher, all of who had buttons made for them by the big "general buttonmakers" of the time. The one with the pictorial backmark adtes to about 1820-1830. The reason i know that, is that the button is very similar to another known and dated button with a pictorial backmark of an eagle holding a shield with an anchor on it, the button has the same lined field as yours and the same border decoration and looks to have been made by the same company. In the case of the one with the US Navy pictorial backmark, those were made in England 1820-1830 for the US market, and the backmark was used as a Patriotic one to appeal to the american buyer. The pictorial on your button , even though part of it is covered by solder, is different and looks to be more of an Agricultural Motif. Must have been a lot of farmers in the Maritimes to have a back made to appeal to the agrarian types. I am working on a pamphlet or article (depending upon how much info I can develop) on dating plain flat buttons. I would be interested in getting better pictures, or the button itself if you still have it, so I can use it in my publication. PM me if you get a chance. Regards, Bob

Upvote 0

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Almy,

I know it has been 4 years since you posted these buttons, but i do have some information regarding the button with the unusual pictorial backmark. The other two buttons date about 1810-1830, the one with the WC backmark is most probably the initials of a Tailor, there are several with those initials in the Edinburgh Directories so can't narrow down which tailor used the button. The other is also probably not a button maker but rather a dry goods merchant or linnen-draper or haberdasher, all of who had buttons made for them by the big "general buttonmakers" of the time. The one with the pictorial backmark adtes to about 1820-1830. The reason i know that, is that the button is very similar to another known and dated button with a pictorial backmark of an eagle holding a shield with an anchor on it, the button has the same lined field as yours and the same border decoration and looks to have been made by the same company. In the case of the one with the US Navy pictorial backmark, those were made in England 1820-1830 for the US market, and the backmark was used as a Patriotic one to appeal to the american buyer. The pictorial on your button , even though part of it is covered by solder, is different and looks to be more of an Agricultural Motif. Must have been a lot of farmers in the Maritimes to have a back made to appeal to the agrarian types. I am working on a pamphlet or article (depending upon how much info I can develop) on dating plain flat buttons. I would be interested in getting better pictures, or the button itself if you still have it, so I can use it in my publication. PM me if you get a chance. Regards, Bob

Nice ID, and good luck on your article! I actually ended up writing an article for Western and Eastern Treasures about button dating awhile back, so let me know if you need any help with yours, though you definitely seem to be a lot more knowledgeable than me. Hopefully the OP still goes on this forum, and can get back to you soon.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread