What's new

Button, Button, who knows about Buttons

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2007
Messages
2,917
Reaction score
85
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I find quite a few buttons. Most are easy to find other examples of or tell what they are - flat, 4-holer, 2-piece, 3-piece, Dandy, etc. This button doesn't fit and I have no clue as to age or anything. The area has had buildings and commerce since the 11th century so it can be pretty much from the time buttons first appeared to much later.

The unusual thing is that the metal used for the button has scalloped edges where it "ends" on the back. It seems to be pressed around a form and the shank is attached to that form. The edges of the 2 or 3 piece buttons I have are just plain. Just left the way they came out when they were punched and stamped. Why "decorate" the edges of the button that will be on the back?

So I'm stumped. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It's a 14mm button.

Thanks,

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • ButtonA.webp
    ButtonA.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 331
  • ButtonB.webp
    ButtonB.webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 323
Upholstery button.
Scott
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Scott. Why upholstery? How are they different? I've never found one so I'm curious.

Thanks,

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a "ball" button. Since they are two-piece, I'd say 1840s and onward. (Wish there was a backmark to help narrow it down.) I've found them at CW sites and mid-19th c. homesteads, but they are not that common of a find (perhaps due to their more narrow date range). Was this an overseas find?


Best Wishes,



Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Not a ball button. More like a "Flying Saucer" button. ;D

Still across the pond.

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • Button4.webp
    Button4.webp
    39.8 KB · Views: 308
Upvote 0
17th century? Looks similar!
 

Attachments

  • 17thman.webp
    17thman.webp
    2 KB · Views: 262
  • 17thman.webp
    17thman.webp
    2 KB · Views: 270
  • 17thman.webp
    17thman.webp
    2 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0
:hello:
Circa 17-18th Century :thumbsup:

SS.
 

Attachments

  • 18th century.webp
    18th century.webp
    6 KB · Views: 264
  • 18th century 2.webp
    18th century 2.webp
    6.2 KB · Views: 267
  • 18 3.webp
    18 3.webp
    4.1 KB · Views: 267
Upvote 0
I think you are right. Maybe the scalloped edges are just a "trademark" of the manufacturer. Just never seen them before.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
I think you are right. Maybe the scalloped edges are just a "trademark" of the manufacturer. Just never seen them before.

Daryl
Did I here right Daryl...you are in the UK :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Close. Amsterdam. Far out dude. :laughing7: Got any chips???

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
BioProfessor said:
Close. Amsterdam. Far out dude. :laughing7: Got any chips???

Daryl
Peace man :headbang: :D



I love the greenery along the canals in Amsterdam!
 
Upvote 0
The only greenery these days are green bicycles, green cars, green motor scooters, and Heiniken beer crap. :'(


Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Silver searcher, I don't think Bioproffesor's button is as old as your example. The older ones had the ball brazed around a solid brass button base with soldered or brazed shank, but Bio's looks like a stamped back with a slightly more recent wire shank, which although soldered, seems to be attached through the back, not onto it. .
 
Upvote 0
4-H's look like Zouave buttons from the Civil War. I found a similar button at a dual army campsite several years ago, and didn't know what it was until I saw one in
Mark Parker's column in Western and Eastern Treasures. Good luck, and great hunting! Regards, Richard
 
Upvote 0
skypilot02 said:
4-H's look like Zouave buttons from the Civil War. I found a similar button at a dual army campsite several years ago, and didn't know what it was until I saw one in
Mark Parker's column in Western and Eastern Treasures. Good luck, and great hunting! Regards, Richard

We find tons of them. No CW over here. Some were but most are common globe/ball buttons (Civilian).
 
Upvote 0
Duh!! My mistake, fellas! I thought it was backmarked! Great hunting and good luck! Regards, Richard
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom