What's new

Button Experts

Bigcypresshunter

Sapphire Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2004
Messages
27,124
Reaction score
3,351
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought a tin of 300 buttons, mostly WWI Great Seal buttons for under .05 ea. and mixed in I found these 2 undug General Staff buttons. The one on the left is 3 piece, the right is 2 piece. Different wings and shields. No backmarks. Steel or tin backs.

Could they be old with these type backs?

Sorry about the pics I took at nite with the flash on.
 

Attachments

  • MVC-027E.webp
    MVC-027E.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 478
  • MVC-028E.webp
    MVC-028E.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 464
  • MVC-029E.webp
    MVC-029E.webp
    10.5 KB · Views: 474
These are post-CW backs. With CW buttons you'd either find a wire shank soldered into place or, if solder was unavailable, workers simply inserted a wire into holes in the back, and bent the ends to create a shank.
 
Upvote 0
kyphote said:
These are post-CW backs. With CW buttons you'd either find a wire shank soldered into place or, if solder was unavailable, workers simply inserted a wire into holes in the back, and bent the ends to create a shank.
Can you put a date to them?

Are they CW reproductions?
 
Upvote 0
Could the 3 piece be an Indian Wars era button?

I think the second button is a reenactors repro.
 
Upvote 0
The 3-piece is a much better quality button. As far as a date of use, without a backmark it's a crapshoot. I would say more modern than the Indian wars. It may still be a reenactor's button as the number of stars on the shield would be about right for that type button.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Not sure. Last week I received a box of what I was told were WWI era buttons. A few of the buttons are exactly as you depict. I'd be interested in what others say as I haven't had time to research. If I had to guess, I'd say they're post Indian Wars. 1910 or later.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks kyphote and thanks professor. :icon_thumright:

Does anybody know what date they stopped using these muffin type staff buttons?

Or does anybody know how early they used these almost hopper looking backs? I dont know what they are called.
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
The 3-piece is a much better quality button. As far as a date of use, without a backmark it's a crapshoot. I would say more modern than the Indian wars. It may still be a reenactor's button as the number of stars on the shield would be about right for that type button.

Daryl
I looked with a loupe and...

the 3-piece button appears to have 7 stars on the shield.

the cheaper made 2-piece button has 13 stars on the shield.
 
Upvote 0
7 stars is pretty much on target for Indian Wars buttons. It's the "no shank" that's the issue.

I think I will stick with a repro for Indian Wars.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here' one that does.

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • IWButton.webp
    IWButton.webp
    42.1 KB · Views: 389
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
Here' one that does.

Daryl
Thanks Daryl. Looks like a match. Is it real?? Does it show the back can you show the link?
 
Upvote 0
Nope, this one is real. Backmark is Horstmann, Philadelphia. Has normal shank.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Its a dead on match.
 
Upvote 0
Yep but the back is like that of a repro. It's a quality button. You can tell that from the edge roll. Just the wrong way of attachment for a period button.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
Yep but the back is like that of a repro. It's a quality button. You can tell that from the edge roll. Just the wrong way of attachment for a period button.

Daryl
If anyone can tell me when this type of attachment was first used, I would be satisfied.
 
Upvote 0
kyphote said:
Not sure. Last week I received a box of what I was told were WWI era buttons. A few of the buttons are exactly as you depict. I'd be interested in what others say as I haven't had time to research. If I had to guess, I'd say they're post Indian Wars. 1910 or later.
Great Seal buttons were out in 1909. Were these used in WWI?
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
Shankless buttons were patented in 1938 if that helps.

Daryl
Yes it helps.
 
Upvote 0
The type of shank on the buttons is called a self shank. I don't know when they start using them but it was no earlier than 1900. Both are staff button but post Indian war.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom