✅ SOLVED BUTTON FOUND ON KING OF ENGLAND LAND GRANT PROPERTY

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A FRIEND OF MINE FOUND THIS BUTTON YESTERDAY IN DAVIDSON COUNTY NC ON A PERMISSION SITE THAT HAS BEEN IN ONE FAMILY SINCE THEY GOT IT IN A LAND GRANT FROM THE KING OF ENGLAND. IT IS CROSSED BY THE OLD COLONIAL TRADING PATH. THE FRONT OF THE BUTTON IS PLAIN AND ON THE BACK IT HAS AN EAGLE AND THE WORDS TREBLE PLATED. ANY INFO ON WHAT TIME PERIOD AND WHAT KIND OF BUTTON THIS IS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS TODD 20141216_210503.jpg

OP
OP
P@tch

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, That explains the Eagle for me. Sorry I don't have a picture of the front,my friend said the front is plain. So im guessing this button is not military related?

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As I said in the discussion Nhbenz pointed you to, plain-front brass 1-piece flatbuttons were manufactured primarily for use on civilian clothing. We know that at least a few of the millions which were manufactured did get used on local Militia uniforms, and also on Military School uniforms... but the vast majority were used on civilian clothing. Absolute proof has been found in button-making companies' sales-documents showing who placed orders for these plain-front flatbuttons. Also, there's the fact that we relic-hunters very frequently dig lots of them at house-sites and farmfields where no Military activity is recorded to have happened.

The backmark on your brass 1-piece flatbutton says "TREBLE PLATED". Treble meant triple. In early-1800s button backmarks, the word "plated" always meant silver plating... and "gilt" in a button's backmark meant what we now call gold-plated.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P@tch

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cannonball guy your knowledge always impresses me,I didn't have a clue about buttons until today and now I have learned three things. Thanks again Todd

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions