Button found on old battlefield....

Blacksash

Nov 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C3F6C69F-CDF3-4CA3-87C5-0841D7D39EDB.jpeg

Any ideas on identification?

It was found in Newfoundland....

Thanks Lairmo! I wasn’t finding anything similar in my searches....

Upvote 0
Nice find Blacksash, congrats!

Go figure, a Phoenician coat button in Newfoundland. Lairmo's probably got with the cufflink theory.

Welcome to TNet, Make yourself at home!

Upvote 0
First off, great I.D. by lairmo! :notworthy:

I've be to NFLD on numerous occasions and I never known there to be any "battlefields" on the island.
Although, I am aware of the WWI Training field near Quidi Vidi Lake in St. John's. :thumbsup:

WWI - Training the Newfoundland Regiment

"Newfoundland's decision to raise a regiment to fight in the First World War created many challenges connected to training and outfitting the men. Not even the most basic of military supplies existed for the new recruits. Rifles were in short supply, and so were machine guns, revolvers, binoculars, and almost every other piece of equipment needed to send a 500-man infantry unit to war. A lack of khaki material was a problem, and another was a shortage of qualified instructors for the training camp.

After recruiting opened on August 21, 1914, the NPA scrambled to prepare a training ground for the approximately 500 men who would join the Newfoundland Regiment. Its Equipment Committee selected a cricket field near Quidi Vidi Lake in St. John's to serve as a military camp. Government, businesses, local church brigades, and private citizens provided most of the tents, although some still had to be made from sails donated by vessels in the harbour. The Anglo-Newfoundland Development (AND) Company in Grand Falls provided wooden tent floors and the Anglo-American Telegraph Company installed telephones. The first recruits arrived on September 1 and by the end of the month all 565 were under canvas."

Dave

Attachments

• pleasantville-training-tents-1.jpg
    pleasantville-training-tents-1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 41
  • pleasantville-target-practice.jpg
    pleasantville-target-practice.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 46
  • pleasantville-training-tents-4.jpg
    pleasantville-training-tents-4.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 44
  • d-company-marching-pleasantville.jpg
    d-company-marching-pleasantville.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think many Americans have a righteous concept of how our Northern neighbors have preceded, shared and followed the US into some pretty horrible situations (some of which we created). We owe our security and stability to the UK forces that kept the NAZIs off us long enough to get our war production off the ground enough to combat the worldwide scourge. Troops from the UK have followed us into every conflict since WW1 and often took the brunt of the punishment until we could stand up properly. Flyers from the US enlisted in the RAF via Canada in both world wars to hold off the German forces attacking Europe. We owe the Canadians a lot more respect than they're given presently! I hope we'll be able to rebuild that again!

Upvote 0
I don't think many Americans have a righteous concept of how our Northern neighbors have preceded, shared and followed the US into some pretty horrible situations (some of which we created). We owe our security and stability to the UK forces that kept the NAZIs off us long enough to get our war production off the ground enough to combat the worldwide scourge. Troops from the UK have followed us into every conflict since WW1 and often took the brunt of the punishment until we could stand up properly. Flyers from the US enlisted in the RAF via Canada in both world wars to hold off the German forces attacking Europe. We owe the Canadians a lot more respect than they're given presently! I hope we'll be able to rebuild that again!

Both my father and grandfather fought in the World Wars. My grandfather was in the British Cavalry in WWI and my father was in the RCAF in WWII. :thumbsup:
Some Canadians might not agree with me, but I'm grateful for the fact that we have good relations with our neighbours to the south and I thank them for their military support!
Consequently, I have a great respect for anyone in any country who has the guts to put on a uniform and defend their country. :occasion14:
As far as I'm concerned... if you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

Dave

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back