What's new

Button Help....Please

silver seeker 64

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2010
Messages
25
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Blair county Pa.
Detector(s) used
X-TERRA 705
Hunted an old 1800's foundation yesterday found this button. I think its a 1850 to 1880's service button but there is no marking on the back. The button is in bad shape back fell off when dug from hole. There is no shank and it looks like the shank was inserted and soldered in which I have never seen. any help would be greatly appreciated. sorry for the pictures I'm new at this.
thank you
HH
 

Attachments

  • 222.webp
    222.webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 225.webp
    225.webp
    27.4 KB · Views: 212
Looks like exactly what you think it is. The "blank" back with a hole for a soldered-in loop is due to manufacturers' efforts to cheaply mass-produce this type of US Army Enlisted-man's buttons during the latter half of the American civil war. By 1863/64, hundreds-of-thousands of freshly-recruited (or drafted) yankee infantrymen needed uniforms with these buttons, ASAP ...so the US government's purchasing-agents weren't nearly as "picky" about equipment standards as they had been during peacetime.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you CannonballGuy, I have dug several button from this era but all have had backmarks. thanks for the info.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom