✅ SOLVED Button help please !

DIGGING1971GUY

May 20, 2011
Hi found this button at a 1800s church today front has a bell on it with the words bell cord
Thank you ,wondering if anyone has seen one like this . Thank you for looking !!

001.JPG 002.JPG

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAy wanna ask CannonBallGuy on this one.. Very interesting and appears to be 19th century. Maybe it was for a bell boy who went up and rang the bell at a church or something, or maybe say someone who repaired telegraph wires in the civil war or after.. I will check back on this post to see if someone knows, kewl find! :occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DIGGING1971GUY

DIGGING1971GUY

May 20, 2011
MAy wanna ask CannonBallGuy on this one.. Very interesting and appears to be 19th century. Maybe it was for a bell boy who went up and rang the bell at a church or something, or maybe say someone who repaired telegraph wires in the civil war or after.. I will check back on this post to see if someone knows, kewl find! :occasion14:

Thank you I hope someone can id it !!

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not the CBG, but it looks like an overall rivet to me. :) Breezie

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Breezie ,these rivets do they look like a button ? it has a shank on it like a button it looks like a button ,but you could be right
Thanks !!

DGuy, I really can't tell from the picture, and can't see if it is a shank or a post. I was judging it by the front. If it is a rivet it will be a rivet post. Can you clean it without breaking it? Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DIGGING1971GUY

DIGGING1971GUY

May 20, 2011
DGuy, I really can't tell from the picture, and can't see if it is a shank or a post. I was judging it by the front. If it is a rivet it will be a rivet post. Can you clean it without breaking it? Breezie

I do not think I can without destroying it

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No need to clean it. I can see that it does have a button-loop on its back. It's unusual that both the back and the loop are iron. Those characteristics (which are evidence of very cheap manufacturing), and its nearly-flat front, and it having non-serifed lettering indicate it is a civilian "work" jacket/coat button from the late-1800s through first half of the 20th-Century. I'm basing the approximate end-date on the fact that the manufacturer seems to be no longer in business, with no record of the company -- or at least the Bell Cord "brand line" -- showing up in my websearching. (I tried Bell Cord coat, jacket, jeans, clothes. clothing, company, fashions, and manufacturing, with zero results.)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DIGGING1971GUY

DIGGING1971GUY

May 20, 2011
No need to clean it. I can see that it does have a button-loop on its back. It's unusual that both the back and the loop are iron. Those characteristics (which are evidence of very cheap manufacturing), and its nearly-flat front, and it having non-serifed lettering indicate it is a civilian "work" jacket/coat button from the late-1800s through first half of the 20th-Century. I'm basing the approximate end-date on the fact that the manufacturer seems to be no longer in business, with no record of the company -- or at least the Bell Cord "brand line" -- showing up in my websearching. (I tried Bell Cord coat, jacket, jeans, clothes. clothing, company, fashions, and manufacturing, with zero results.)

Thank you for looking CannonballGuy,I will mark it as solved a coat button was what my bud thought it was

:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I found references to Bell Cord overalls in Georgia newspaper ads - 1936, 1923, 1926. I'll add the images in case this comes up again in the future :)

Attachments

• bellcord.jpg
    bellcord.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there goes my hope on it being from a unit that repaired Telegraph stuff lol but you gotta think outside the realm sometimes! awesome u got more info on it! :occasion14:

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bramblefind, if you wouldn't mind me asking... what Search program (or service) did you use to find those Georgia newspaper ads for Bell Cord overalls? Before I replied about HutSiteDigger's button, I websearched for the phrase "Belt Cord overalls" and got zero results.

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Bramblefind, if you wouldn't mind me asking... what Search program (or service) did you use to find those Georgia newspaper ads for Bell Cord overalls? Before I replied about HutSiteDigger's button, I websearched for the phrase "Belt Cord overalls" and got zero results.

Hi :) I actually utilized the Newpaper Archives section of GenealogyBank - it is a subscription site though so that would probably explain why you weren't able to locate anything out in the general web.

Genealogy Search & Family History Records - GenealogyBank

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the link. Looks like I'll have to subscribe to that service. I'm not much into Genealogy except for civil war military ancestors, but as your "Bell Cord overalls" search-result showed, the service is worthwhile for other purposes besides Genealogy. Thanks again. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread