What's new

Button Help

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
420
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, I stopped out today at one of my favorite spots to see how much the ground was frozen and hoping to get an hour in of detecting. Five minutes into the hunt I got a good signal and dug the button pictured below. It has "P" in script writing. The area that I hunted is not close to any house and I found multiple mini balls in the same area. I researched my county's old police uniforms and they never had this type of button. The area I detected is where the confederates defended against a federal attack. Any information would help. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • P Button.webp
    P Button.webp
    8.2 KB · Views: 228
  • P Button1.webp
    P Button1.webp
    7.7 KB · Views: 221
Usually called police buttons but I'm 0/1 on P button IDs this week. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. I know buttons were often recycled and used on other garments back in the day. I did some research and found the button could have been made between 1845 and 1870 and later. I don't understand how the button ended up where it did. Any good resources out there I could use to place a date?
 
Upvote 0
What backmark is on it? I can't make it out in the picture, but my eyes aren't the best anymore either.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom