Button ID, age, value?

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Here is a pic of the front. It's a flat button about the size of a nickel. Eagle on the front perched on something (maybe a rock) looking to the left. Below the eagle is the word "Excelsior". The front is still silver plated. The shank is missing and the back reads "SUPERIOR STRONG PLATED" It was in my grandfather's small collection of MDing treasures. I assume he found it at an old farm...old farms are where he hunted the most.

Attachments

• Button.JPG
    Button.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 223

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Beautiful button! New York State Militia, c. 1820-30. Excelsior is the state motto. Most of these buttons are of British manufacture. Both gilt and silver finishes exist.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Nice going to my grandpappy! Got a value? This one aint being sold...but if I ever find one like it...
Grandpa wanted me to have it...just curious. Looks a lot like those war of 1812 buttons and I guess it would be similar if it was only 10-15 years later it was made...probably by the same company.

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Skrimpy said:
Nice going to my grandpappy! Got a value? This one aint being sold...but if I ever find one like it...
Grandpa wanted me to have it...just curious. Looks a lot like those war of 1812 buttons and I guess it would be similar if it was only 10-15 years later it was made...probably by the same company.

Surprisingly, only around $35-40, according to both Tice's price guide and recent lists issued by Bob Edmondson.

As a gift from Grandpa? Priceless!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
PBK said:
As a gift from Grandpa? Priceless!
That's what I said! The widow wouldn't have given it to me had she known it was worth money. Unfortunately, the three or four binders full of mercs were gone shortly after he got sick. She knew he wanted the coins to go to me and sold them. Florida estate law sucks.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread