Candle Holder??????

stecordbz

Greenie
Dec 18, 2006
Yes, my name is Steven Correa. I have in my possession an older, i
believe to be a candle holder. Very heavy, approx. 1 ft tall. Can be
taken apart into 3 pieces----sorry, 4 pieces-----. A bottom stand, middle portion 3 cherubs, and
then a longer piece thats slides into the middle. It is gold in color
but has never tarnished. I cannot find any information about this piece
and was wondering if you know if worth anything, or if
you would just be willing to look at this item and maybe give me a clue
as to where to find information about its history. I remember playing with this when i was a kid at my grandmother's house. Then somehow my parents ended up with it and now i have it. I was told it was found inside an old house. Ive been told it looks like an old church piece

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF1502_edited_edited.JPG
    Copy of DSCF1502_edited_edited.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,098
  • K800_DSCF1515_edited.JPG
    K800_DSCF1515_edited.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 1,003
  • K640_DSCF1505_edited.JPG
    K640_DSCF1505_edited.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,022
  • DSCF1513_edited.JPG
    DSCF1513_edited.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,057
  • DSCF1510_edited.JPG
    DSCF1510_edited.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,059
  • DSCF1509_edited.JPG
    DSCF1509_edited.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,070
  • DSCF1507_edited.JPG
    DSCF1507_edited.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,090
  • DSCF1502_edited.JPG
    DSCF1502_edited.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,096

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Welcome to TreasureNet Steven! Very interesting piece. Sorry that I can't offer any definitive information, but my first impression would be that it was used to hold flowers. Is there any indication that there had been water in the base of it? Or is it even constructed in such a way that it would hold water? Surely someone here will ID this, likely someone who has spent more time in church than myself. :) -Ben

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Welcome to TNet. Sometimes old French clocks were composed of three separate items. The clock, of course, and then 2 companion pieces that would flank the clock. Your item might be one of those decorative clock flanking pieces. It doesn't tarnish??? No markings? Brass items were usually made in pieces and then screwed together. I think your item is made from brass and has some type of clear lacquer or something similar put on it to prevent tarnish.

1086464247-small

This example shows candle holders. Not all companion pieces to French clocks were candle holders. Some were merely decorative pieces with no other purpose than to be artistic companions to the ornate clock.

After looking at your photos again, I now think your item has been gold-leafed or gilt. A thin layer of gold applied over a base material. That would explain why there is no tarnish also. It might have held dried flowers, which need no water. I personally don't think it would have held water, but without seeing it from an overhead view, it's really hard for me to tell. Hope this helps. LOL

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like it is coated with gold gilding, hence no tarnish? Haven't a clue what it might be for? Monty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stecordbz

Greenie
Dec 18, 2006
Here are some pictures that show an overhead view...the first series shows starting at top and taking piece by piece off...plus on the bottom and on some other spots have markings indented. they are star shaped markings...

Attachments

• DSCF1526.JPG
    DSCF1526.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 779
  • DSCF1525.JPG
    DSCF1525.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 777
  • DSCF1524.JPG
    DSCF1524.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 778
  • DSCF1523.JPG
    DSCF1523.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 786
  • DSCF1522.JPG
    DSCF1522.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 809
  • DSCF1521.JPG
    DSCF1521.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 810
  • DSCF1520.JPG
    DSCF1520.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 833
  • DSCF1519.JPG
    DSCF1519.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 831
  • DSCF1518.JPG
    DSCF1518.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 855
  • DSCF1517.JPG
    DSCF1517.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 851
Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

With these new pix I think flower vase (both wet and dry) can be eliminated. Candleholder still doesn't make sense since the hole goes all the way through. Maybe some other piece is missing. Are there any threads inside the top piece hole? Some female threads in there?

Upvote 0

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
The top and bottom view of the top piece show a flange at the top end.My guess is it was a table lamp at one time.The lamp socket and cord are all thats missing.It could be from a funeral home,the style is right.

hasbeen

Upvote 0

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
???
My first thought was the top part could possibly hold a small basin for water. . but I am not sure. . especially seeing you write that it is only about a foot in height ??? Puzzling & intriguing. . hhmmm

From whom you where told ( or passed along too ) it was found in an old house. . do you know the area of the old house? Perhaps a history on those owners?

Have you taken your pictures to any of the Churches or Furneral Houses locally? Perhaps someone there could give you more clues. .

hhhmmmm ??? you know the more I look at your picture & the bit of search I did on some key words. . I really am leaning toward this being a small fountain ???. . what is the material made of? Apologize if you have already answered any of my questions & I missed the answers :-[

When you find out anything please, please do let us know. . for I am curious as all about this piece! ;D

Bogart :D

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed in one overhead shot there was three nail like objects protruding toward the middle. That would make me think something wooden , perhaps some kind of pole was inserted and those "nails" helt it tight and straight much like a Christmas tree holder. Just an observation. Monty

Upvote 0

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
With the 3 nail holes I believe this ornament was put on the top of a pole at the end of a stair case! Not sure where your from or where your grandmother lived, but its possibly French. Hope this helps!

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

Upvote 0

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
I was really intrigued when you displayed this item & for some unbeknownst reason I thought . . ;D this should be easy to figure out! ;D . . thus far I got a nadda on that :-\ . . but I found some things that I think may be headed in the right direction . .

Louis XV French Style
gold gilt
putti ( or putto )
wheat motif sheaves

It looks like wheat sheaves are laid upon at least one of the putti lap . . but the plant bit in the middle . . corn? ??? I really think these "plants" may be a good clue to the who/why/where/when & what about this item. . .
Anyhow originally when I saw this item I thought Church but now . . now I am thinking it was in a house . . possibly a pedestal & placed upon a counter/bar area . . .

check out this pix :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ESTATE-19C-GILD...73QQihZ006QQcategoryZ1212QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No not the same but similar & the one in the pix measures 18". . hhmmm :-\ . . . maybe?

then there is this one:
http://www.dargate.com/237_auction/237_images/237porc.htm

scroll down to number 3180, this one stands 10" in height! hhmmm :-\

Bogart :D

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Although I think this is a French piece or in the style of a French piece, I don't think the plants are corn or wheat. Wheat was often a symbol of mourning, which would direct us back to a funeral home type of decoration. But the leaves of the plants don't look like wheat to me. Any wheat experts on board? And corn doesn't look right either.

It could be a bowl is missing from the top. Perhaps it broke and was never replaced. Having a bowl with a long stem might explain the nail-like protuberances in a lower section of the piece. Many modern-day light fixtures hold their globes in place with similar screw type protuberances that are finger tightened. Are these things accessable so they, too, could be finger tightened?

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eapearn holder. A glass vase sat in the holder. Very ornate. I did not spell eapearn right, but do a search and you might get the idea of what it might have looked like. Just my guess.
DG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread