What's new

Button id please...

Mr. Magoo

Full Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
165
Reaction score
32
Golden Thread
0
Location
North carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Had a great hunt with Sage today in the pouring down rain and found some great finds despite the weather. Most notable was this button. On first glance looked like this might have been a confederate scripted C but it now looks like a scripted E for engineers. Can anyone help me out? It is 25 mm in size two piece button with what looks like the letters best superior on back.
 

Attachments

  • engineer.webp
    engineer.webp
    37.5 KB · Views: 337
The old English script E matches up perfectly with some of the rarer confederate engineers buttons. My best guess is a CSE216. Great find!! I'm sorry I can't find one online to prove my claim, but Tice's Uniform button book shows this. Oh, and it's of British manufacture.
 
Upvote 0
Does it look like this?
 

Attachments

  • button script C.webp
    button script C.webp
    10.2 KB · Views: 270
Upvote 0
I'm posting the picture out of Tice's Uniform Button's of The United States 1776-1865
It may not be permitted to do so (I don't know), so it's possible this post will be deleted, however I can't find this variation anywhere online. The listed backmarks do not exactly match the one Mr. Magoo found, but the E certainly seems to.
 

Attachments

  • Confbutton.webp
    Confbutton.webp
    12.7 KB · Views: 240
Upvote 0
I think you got it Ben. :thumbsup: I guess there are different variations from the different manufacturers.
 
Upvote 0
You all are on the right track.  It is certainly a Confederate "script E" button, and it is a Valuable find. I'm thinking it is CSE217A1, due to the border. But the design is still a little different from anything listed in Tice. If there is no backmark, then it is probably a variant of CSE217.


-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Just wanted you all to know that I posted this for sale on e-bay if anyone wanted to add it to their collection. Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
Starting bid of $400?!

:tard:

Well...we'll see. :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
So...


Did it sell?
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • solved check.gif
    solved check.gif
    589 bytes · Views: 130
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Hers mine Confederate calvary, Probaly my most expensive find ever.
 

Attachments

  • 000_1143.webp
    000_1143.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 000_1143.webp
    000_1143.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Button Rev-1812?
Replies
0
Views
255
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Button ID
Replies
10
Views
1K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom