What's new

Button ID

artyfacts

Bronze Member
Joined
May 1, 2010
Messages
1,183
Reaction score
1,355
Golden Thread
3
Location
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this 7/8, Lewis & Tomes Extra Rich button today. I could not find a match. Eagle facing left writing underneath. Six or seven letters. The first letter looks like a C. I will try to get a close up tomorrow in the sun. Art
 

Attachments

  • B Front.webp
    B Front.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 385
  • B Back.webp
    B Back.webp
    17.5 KB · Views: 371
Pic.
 

Attachments

  • Button.webp
    Button.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 273
  • Button.webp
    Button.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 263
  • Button.webp
    Button.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0
Lewis & Tomes, Birmingham, England & NYC. Edward Lewis and Francis Tomes were merchants and importers of jewelry and buttons. The buttons were made in England where Lewis was a merchant, 1816-1833. The New York firm dated 1819-1826 as Lewis & tomes but continued as Tomes and other names until their bankruptcy in1878. No buttons are believed to be manufactured for the firm after 1830.
I think your button is listed in Albert's as NY-10A: New York Militia : 1-piece button with border and rope edging The letters spell out Excelsior.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks fyrffytr1, that is a match. A NY-10A: New York Militia button. Thanks for the quick ID. Arty
 

Attachments

  • Ny-10.webp
    Ny-10.webp
    29.8 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0
You're welcome. Glad I was able to help. Oh yeah, nice find. I would rather find an old button than a pocketful of clad!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom