
How about 'Desdemona on her knees listening to Othello the Moor'? That fits the Victorian mold well...
Good friend for Jesus sake forbeare, To dig the dust enclosed here.
Blessed be the man that spares these stones, And cursed be he that moves my bones.
I searched a little more and found Victorian era buttons depicting 'The Tempest', 'Hamlet', and 'Midsummer's Night Dream'.
I didn't find a match to yours but you're safe calling it a Victorian story button that MAY be Shakespearean.
That makes metal detecting sound sophisticated and classy, doesn't it? Dig a hole and learn Shakespeare!
But beware the curse of Shakespeare's grave:
Very nice button. I'm guessing it's a Victorian era 'story button'. Except I don't know the story...
The seated figure appears to be an African or Moorish nobel. The kneeling figure appears to carry a Christian cross.
At first, I thought it was the Pope. But I don't know of any Pope who had a parrot and used a fan of feathers...