Harrison

Jan 14, 2020
Where the treasure is
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these two buttons in my front yard. I live on the front lines of a historic civil war battle field where I have found bullets, civil war eagle buttons, and tons of other civil war artifacts. But these don’t seem to fit in that category at all. My town was founded in 1799, the war took place in 1865 and most houses in the area were built in 1890-present. The first button was found 4months ago about 6 inches deep right next to my porch. The second button was found today a few feet from where I found the first one a few months back. I’ve walked that yard hundreds of times but things always seem to surface! (All depends on the direction you scan!) The button feels heavy like lead, or some kind of pot metal and has the shiniest gold gilding. The shank on the back is square instead of the typical rounded loop found on most buttons. My guess is Victorian era 1837-1901 based upon the style Worn by the man pictured in the button. But I also wonder why would someone of that era wear a button with the current style of the era on it?¿ Maybe it was a political button of some sort or someone of importance...I have no idea??? If anyone has any information I’d be forever thankful.

097E9D74-BADC-4A15-B36F-8130244D249B.jpeg 372E6F77-CC11-44B0-AC2E-51D8D7B4EBB2.jpeg FAB9AF49-A80E-40BC-A829-DFE822C0EBC8.jpeg

Upvote 10

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Firstly those reverse attachments don't scream button to me, plus the spelter looking cheap cast metal doesn't say button either. That type of metal is common in the 20th C, maybe for advertising something? Not sure other than NOT button (I believe).

OP
OP
Harrison

Harrison

Jan 14, 2020
Where the treasure is
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some research, the button turned out be be pewter instead of pot metal!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know for sure but being pewter with that image I'd agree with Victorian / 1800's

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting item, I do not think it's a button. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread