What's new

Button or Stud?

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
1,887
Reaction score
146
Golden Thread
0
Location
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug this today at a spot which spanned early 1730's to the latest about 1818. It is high double domed, brass with either lead or pewter fill, about the diameter of a penny. If it has a shank (or round tack) attached to the back it is gone. Has anyone found a pewter filled high domed button exacrtly like this? It seems too big to me for a stud. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • button front1.webp
    button front1.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 213
  • button back1.webp
    button back1.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 253

Attachments

  • rosettes.webp
    rosettes.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 231
  • Rosettesbk.webp
    Rosettesbk.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 235
Upvote 0
Looks like a button to me. The back looks like a typical broken shank and I have found earlier buttons with that overall shape (1750's). The broken part is dead center where as the rosettes have two broken marks on the sides. That's my two cents from looking at the pictures.
Dave.
 
Upvote 0
I'm thinking it could be an old tufting button.
 
Upvote 0
I've dug colonial rosettes that had a stud in the middle and are fairly small. If it were a bottom to a stool or couch leg I doubt it would be lead filled. Also I don't recall ever seeing any buttons with a brass face and lead filled back. while it's possible it is a button. I would lean to it being a rosette of a harness. There was probably a row of them on a narrow harness.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom