What's new

Button or what

UnkleMudd

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Could use some help on this one! I found it at a revolutionary war, civil war site near Camden, SC. It was on a man-made slope at a construction site. I cleaned it one time with peroxide and decided to stop when I noticed the eagle on it. It is cupped and does not have a shank but a cross piece. Any help would be appreciated!
David
 

Attachments

  • button front.webp
    button front.webp
    7.9 KB · Views: 250
  • uncropped button.webp
    uncropped button.webp
    5.9 KB · Views: 242
  • button back.webp
    button back.webp
    7 KB · Views: 251
  • side.webp
    side.webp
    5.2 KB · Views: 258
I don't think its a button, the broken 'shank' like piece is all wrong for a button. Does it look as though it had 'two' iron spikes at one time? If so, might be a box/chest stud.
 
Upvote 0
I have a similar type thing... looks like a flat button but has the iron bar across the back... mine is smaller than a dime.

I agree it's not a button, but cannot offer any other guesses.  Mine is late 1800s.
 
Upvote 0
Crusader, that might be something to look into. Looking at the back, I originally thought decor for a saddlehorn or something. Especially with the eagle being so worn and most of the buttons I have seen or found at this site are in very good condition. I appreciate the tip will let you know what I come up with.
David
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
15
Views
1K
Replies
12
Views
1K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom