Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fyrfftyr1 wrote:
> Do convex one piece buttons date to the same time frame as flat ones?

The answer to your question depends on whether the 1-piece button is a cast one or a machine-pressed (also called "stamped") disc. Cast 1-piece convex ones were manufactured before machine-pressed disc 1-piece buttons were invented. Machine-pressed convex 1-piece buttons are contemporary with machine-pressed flat 1-piece buttons.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Y'all. Here is the button in question. I found it yesterday.

Attachments

• button size.jpg
    button size.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 94
  • button front.jpg
    button front.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 85
  • button back.jpg
    button back.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The photo of the back, showing a brazed-on loop, means it is a machine-pressed disc... and as such, your "convex" 1-piece brass button dates from approximately the 1790s through the 1840s.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Have you ever thought about changing your name to "The Everything Guy"?:laughing7::notworthy:

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First, let me say that I do notice and appreciate the implied praise in your question. The answer to that question is no -- for two reasons:
1- I am keenly aware that I don't even know everything there is to know about the relic-subjects I am well-educated in.
2- I've seen some "experts" who do think they already know everything. I've seen the danger in that. The wiser course is to stay humble.

Blesssedly, this forum contains more than just a couple of people who have expert-level education in overlapping areas. Working in combination, we make a pretty good team, as the multiple "Solved" labels in the forum show. :) I am pleased to be a member of the team, in service to the forum's readers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad that you took it for the compliment it was meant to be. I am also thankful for everyone here that takes time to help us less fortunate ones ID our trinkets.

Upvote 0

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, let me say that I do notice and appreciate the implied praise in your question. The answer to that question is no -- for two reasons:
1- I am keenly aware that I don't even know everything there is to know about the relic-subjects I am well-educated in.
2- I've seen some "experts" who do think they already know everything. I've seen the danger in that. The wiser course is to stay humble.

Blesssedly, this forum contains more than just a couple of people who have expert-level education in overlapping areas. Working in combination, we make a pretty good team, as the multiple "Solved" labels in the forum show. :) I am pleased to be a member of the team, in service to the forum's readers.

You might like my favorite quote then... by the author Hugh Prather from a book Notes to Myself
"Now that I know I am no wiser than anyone else, does this wisdom make me wiser?"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread