What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Button

ncsuwolf

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2024
Messages
1,242
Reaction score
3,218
Golden Thread
0
Location
Near Richmond va
Found near Richmond Va. 1 piece button with what looks like a boat (maybe)on the front. Looks like it had either a silver or chrome coating once upon a time. Back is toasted. It’s either aluminum or pot metal.

1) has anyone ever seen a 1 piece made out of aluminum and 2) any idea on the design?

ideas on date? I’m assuming recent

Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4034.webp
    IMG_4034.webp
    2.2 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_4035.webp
    IMG_4035.webp
    2.2 MB · Views: 101
Couple quick questions. Nice find.
Do you think it be possible to clean up around the shank area some. I understand it can be brittle however the shank is normally a great way to identify and date it.
Hey... you got nothing to lose as without the shank id... i dunno. Can you see if its soldered directly to the button... or is it on a foot that's soldered?

dz
 
Upvote 0
Couple quick questions. Nice find.
Do you think it be possible to clean up around the shank area some. I understand it can be brittle however the shank is normally a great way to identify and date it.
Hey... you got nothing to lose as without the shank id... i dunno. Can you see if its soldered directly to the button... or is it on a foot that's soldered?

dz
I tried gently with a toothpick, but what you’re seeing is corrosion (almost like rust) not soil. I may try again tomorrow with some Andre pencils.
 
Upvote 0
I tried gently with a toothpick, but what you’re seeing is corrosion (almost like rust) not soil. I may try again tomorrow with some Andre pencils.
Good luck. In the picture it looks like maybe a rectangle... if so it would be pretty current. can you tell us about the history of the site and what else has been found there.

dz
 
Upvote 0
'' toasted rust'' in my experience means it's a somewhat modern button. I've dug hundreds of buttons from the 17 and 1800s and none appeared rusty. so my guess is a modern nautical theme button.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom