Buttplate Identification help please.

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350 Garrett ; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, was out Friday at a place we have been to multiple times. So many shotgun head stamps in the ground that we skipped many of those signals. On this particular day we decided that we had just about cleared the ground of head stamps. our intent was to dig everything and to our surprise we were finding a lot of things that weren't head stamps. My brother found a buttplate. I did some research and to the best of my knowledge it is a buttplate to a muzzleloader. Based on my research the rifle had a sliding patchbox probably made of wood. The rifle could have been what is known as a Kentucky Long rifle and based on the curvature of the buttplate I would place it from 1750 to 1790. It also has some flowers on the botton and top areas of the plate. From my research flowers were prominent in the Baroque period in France in the years I believe 1723 to 1750 then this fashion trend spread to other places to include the U.S. Any thoughts on my perspective are most welcome. I would also like to make it known that the homesite the artifact was found was inhabited by a Civil war soldier. Artifacts found included a G.A.R. STAR and two pieces of different Encampment medals both of which were from the state of Pennsylvania. As you all know Pennsylvania is were the Kentucky long rifle in America began with German immigrants. So, there is a possibility that this soldier used this rifle in the Civil War. Another possibility is that this buttplate is off od a model 1855 U.S rifle issued during the civil war. The last possibility to me is less likely. I believe it was more likely to have been passed down in the family. I guess this all depends on the age of the buttplate. Thank you for helping with my quest to age this piece. Buttplate.jpg Buttplate Engraving(Flower).jpg Buttplate Engraving(Flower top).jpg

Upvote 0

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like there is another piece of it still waiting to be found.

OP
OP
Alan Payne

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350 Garrett ; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fowler buttplate maybe.
Its funny you suggest that, because I have been searching and I also think it could be a Fowler. The problem is I don't see any Fowlers with sliding Butt Plates. The only other close suspect is the French Fusil. I thank you for your suggestion.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Its funny you suggest that, because I have been searching and I also think it could be a Fowler. The problem is I don't see any Fowlers with sliding Butt Plates. The only other close suspect is the French Fusil. I thank you for your suggestion.

Both were smooth bores.
With wide butts.

Yes , patch boxes were not common on fowlers.

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a really nice butt there way to go on finding that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread