Buyer Be Aware Using Debit Card at Kellyco

DonK

Jan 4, 2011
November 27Th. 2010 my son used his debit card to purchase a Minelab MD from Kellyco as an early Christmas gift to me and the purchase was on line. I was in Louisiana visiting my brother-in-law and used his home telephone as a point of contact since I was going to be there for a couple of weeks. After completing the order and giving his card number and the Louisiana address for shipping I was contacted by Kellyco employee who advised the bank would not honor the transaction due to a shipping address was not same as my son's debit card address. After giving the correct billing address for my son's debit card the transaction was verified and the order was completed. The shipment arrived in Louisiana within five days and to my surprise Kellyco had shipped TWO Minelab e-trac's. Contacted Kellyco the next day and was advised shipping carrier would be by the next day to pick up the extra delivered MD. Two days and no pick up I again contacted Kellyco and explained I had to return to my home state of Texas soon and no one had picked up the MD to be returned. I was advised someone would be there the next day. Next day no one arrived to pick up the MD. I finally had to return home with my wife traveling back to Texas a couple of days later. She finally called Kellyco and asked for a shipping number by e=mail and delivered the MD to be shipped herself. In the mean time my son's account had been hit for twice the amount of my original order, over $3,000. Kellyco advised the second MD would have to be returned before they could refund my son money to him, even though it was their mistake. The MD arrived the day after my wife sent it back but son didn't get his refund until a week later. End of story right. WRONG!!

December 26Th. 2010 my son received call from his bank stating someone was using his debit card and my brother-in-law's Louisiana telephone number to make an almost $400.00 online purchase from Macy's in California. They wanted to verify the purchase but of course it was an attempted theft. AT NO TIME HAS MY SON'S CARD AND MY BROTHER-IN-LAW' PHONE NUMBER EVER BEEN USED TOGETHER, except with the KELLYCO purchase. I immediately contacted Kellyco customer service and give them the information of the attempted theft. I was advised Kellyco fraud division would follow up on this as Kellyco was the only company where my son's card number and brother-in-law's telephone could have been seen together on an order. I have never used my son's card for any purchase.

A couple of days later I followed up with a call to the customer service manager who advised it should be no problem finding out who was involved with my order and an investigation would be made as this may not have been the only incident of theft or attempted theft.

I contacted Kellyco today as a follow up. I was first told the customer service manager was away from her desk and would have to call me back. I did receive a call from some lady who advised she was the customer service manager but put me on hold to find out what was going on. I would think she would know at this point. After a minutes she advised the "IT Department", was unable to find out anything. Not knowing who I was actually speaking with I ask to speak with the owner or manager of Kellyco. The lady stated she was the customer service manager, indicating to me that I should only speak with her. I again ask to speak with the owner and was put on hold again, then advised he was out to lunch. The customer service manager also stated the police department was not called to investigate a possible fraud or theft inside their company since nothing could be found by their " IT Department". I advised I was a retired Law Enforcement Officer and the police could do a much better investigation.

I won't say this is the fault of Kellyco company. I do feel that it should have been reported to the police for a follow up investigation. As a customer who does business over the internet or phone, we don't really know who we are communicating with or in fact if this was looked into at all. We could be talking with a very dedicated employee or the actual criminal. I have spent several thousand dollars with Kellyco over the years I have been detecting. My hope is anyone reading this will be aware that it has and does happen. Just too bad nothing has been done so far. Please be aware!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red just saw this post a started to freak out just went and Checked our history with our recent purchase No issues here !!! Chug Thanks for the info though!!!! only onr trans action for what she authorised on or card!!! The only charge was For the greatest Christmas present A Garrett Propointer Red You are the BEST!!! Chug

metdetdevl

Sep 14, 2007
Winter Springs, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While we are not happy to read this post, Kellyco needs to make everyone aware that we take issues of this nature very seriously.

We appreciate the fact that the writer of this post stated that he does not say it is the fault of the Kellyco Company.

The facts are, we started an internal investigation the moment we found out about this issue. The card in question was used to purchase a metal detector from us. As with all orders that have a different ship to address and bill to address given, we are required to contact the customer to verify the order was placed to reduce fraud potential. We tried contacting the customers credit card company but they will not release any information to us about this situation.

We have a retired law enforcement officer in our employ and on his advise the IT department started an internal investigation to see what could be discovered. Without any evidence that there was possible wrong doing on any one's part the local police will not get involved. We are still investigating this to make sure that if it is an internal issue it is corrected swiftly.

I will say that we have had hundreds of thousands of transactions through Kellyco over the years with few if any similar incidents. All were easily solved with no money lost by the customer.

Kellyco is fully insured as is the credit card companies against improper credit card use so no customer should ever be concerned that they will be defrauded when purchasing from Kellyco and that is Guaranteed!

If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reach out to Kellyco or myself personally.

Dan Gerrell
Chief Operating Officer
Kellyco Metal Detectors
[email protected]
http://www.kellycodetectors.com

OP
OP
D

DonK

Jan 4, 2011
Thank you for your response. It was not my intention to discredit Kellyco in any manner but I was told there was nothing else that could be done. I gave the customer service manager all the information that my son and I were given. I am a retired Law Enforcement officer and have investigated many crimes with less evidence. I respectfully disagree with my fellow retired officer. Perhaps it is a policy of your jurisdiction to not investigate crimes without evidence. That's what police detectives do, they find and gather evidence. My son was not out any money, thanks to his banks alertness. The fact remains the only way anyone could have put his card number and my brother-in-law's telephone together was during this transaction with Kellyco. Someone working at or privileged to Kellyco's computer records could only get this information. I know it's possible for hackers to hack computers and get the same information and I hope that is the case and they are caught. I have done business with Kellyco since 1995 and never had this problem before. I continue to hold them in high regards for their service and products. I just don't like a thief.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Someone working at or privileged to Kellyco's computer records could only get this information. I know it's possible for hackers to hack computers and get the same information and I hope that is the case and they are caught."

DonK - Check the computer that was used to make the purchase for viruses. I was talking to my Nephew earlier and he just happened to mention his Uncle on the other side of the family having a very similar problem as yours in the same time frame. Seems in his case he had acquired a newly introduced trojan that read the key strokes and sent the information back to the crooks.

OP
OP
D

DonK

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks Diggin. My PC scans every night but something new can always get by. Kellyco seams to be on top of it now. I just get worked up over a thief and don't want this to happen to anyone else. Unfortunately now days computer theft is the major avenue for thieves who are up to date on computers. Thanks again and keep diggin.

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DonK said:
Thanks Diggin. My PC scans every night but something new can always get by. Kellyco seams to be on top of it now. I just get worked up over a thief and don't want this to happen to anyone else. Unfortunately now days computer theft is the major avenue for thieves who are up to date on computers. Thanks again and keep diggin.

What an awful story! I agree with Diggin. It's VERY possible the info is on the computer you used. There is new software for identity theft: www.atherionsoftware.com its pretty cool.

I had the exact thing happen to me a few weeks ago. Not at Kellyco lol...but the info was on my computer & I used my laptop at a coffee shop with wireless. I should know better lol. No one is safe!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Similar thing happen to me......I got gas at a gas station a week before Christmas using my Debit card, after getting gas wife and I went to a mall on a Sunday on the other side of Orlando to do some shopping, and was gone for about 4 hours.

When I returned home after our shopping trip I was checking my emails and noticed I had one from Bank Of America, it stated they had noticed some suspicious activity in my account and had froze it. I checked my account on line and found that a little over $1800 in charges had been made at 4 different Walmarts with in the last 4 hours....

I reported it immediately to the fraud number on the card which was still in my possession, they open a fraud report told me the funds would be returned to my account, I asked if I should open a police report and was told no, not at this time our fraud department will look into it, and my card was canceled. The following Monday the money was put back in my account.

Three weeks later I received a letter from BOA that the conclusion of their investigation was the charges were legal since they were made with my debit card and my pin number, and they were taking the money back. I immediately called them and disputed their findings, I was told part of their reasoning was I had not opened any police reports, I told them I was told I was not required to by their people when I originally reported the theft. They denied telling me that, I said play the tape, when I placed the call to them it had a message that the call was recorded, they told me "most calls are not recorded". They said I must have given my pin number to someone, I told them wife has her own cards, I have no kids living in state and I have never given it to anyone, nor is it written down and the card is still in my possesion.

I told them I would get a police report and they held off taking the funds back till they received the report. After calling the police I found out I had to open 4 different reports as the fraud was committed in different jurisdictions of of 2 different cities and counties. (Suburbs of Orlando)

While opening the reports and talking to the police I found out that they can get your card number and pin number by remote by sitting in a car close to the machine (in this case gas pump) and get the numbers wireless. I was even told there is now a way they can get your numbers off your card while it is still in your wallet by using a machine that is hidden in a briefcase or box as they pass close by you.....

Long story short, in the end, after 6 weeks of aggravation BOA agreed it was indeed fraud, which all the police departments told me it was and the money stayed in my account. Even though each illegal transaction had a number listed with it, walmart was not able to find any usable film of the people who made the charges....

88junior

Feb 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270 with 5", 8",5x10",10-1/2",12" HotHead Coils, Fisher CZ-5 with 8",10-1/2" coils, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is some scary crap since I shop mainly on line!!What is this world coming to??

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
In the original case: cell phones can be taped with ease. Computers now days need more than one anti virus, spy ware scans to find it all.

To set up to use credit cards online an account should be set up for it alone. Separate bank from your normal and no direct deposit,etc. It is easier to monitor that card or bank account that way.

Credit card theft, as well as computer spyware, trogens, key loggers are the norm this day an age.

One more thing that goes on, is the hacking of companies that process credit cards through other online business.
Of course they are supposedly to notify you when this happens but usually that is to late, if they ever do.

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
88junior said:
This is some scary crap since I shop mainly on line!!What is this world coming to??

I think the key is that your bank WILL protect you. Obviously they have to protect themselves too. But I've never heard of one where they didn't get the money back.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KellycoChick said:
88junior said:

I think the key is that your bank WILL protect you. Obviously they have to protect themselves too. But I've never heard of one where they didn't get the money back.

I had to fight with my back it ensure they did not take the funds back.

I had a friend who let his girlfriend use his debit card one day to buy gas, 6 months after they broke up he found charges against it, to make a long story short, she used it, bank refused to refund his money becasue he admitted he had given her the card and pin number months earlier to put gas in her car in the police report and police would not charge her because he admitted he had given her the card and pin number while they were dating which is how the bank found out...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread