What's new

Buying a bag (halves)......

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
2,078
Golden Thread
0
Location
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At what point will you NOT buy a bag that you are filling? If you put in $100 to fill it, obviously you will want to buy the other $900. Will you buy it at $500/500...$700/300...less? I filled one today with $748, I just couldn't walk away from the $252 that was already there, so now I re-check the coins I put in, to hopefully get the loot at the bottom (and so far, I see a couple keepers). Will anyone drop in $950 to get the $50 at the bottom?
 
Upvote 0
TooManyHobbies said:
At what point will you NOT buy a bag that you are filling? If you put in $100 to fill it, obviously you will want to buy the other $900. Will you buy it at $500/500...$700/300...less? I filled one today with $748, I just couldn't walk away from the $252 that was already there, so now I re-check the coins I put in, to hopefully get the loot at the bottom (and so far, I see a couple keepers). Will anyone drop in $950 to get the $50 at the bottom?

Buying bags off the machine in CT ? :icon_scratch: You must be related to the bank CEO :laughing7:
Here is what you do. Wait till the bag gets close to $975.00 in it then PM me with the location.
HH
Rich
 
I have never bought a bag, but it sounds like an opportunity. Does anyone go to just any bank and ask to buy a bag??? I have one dump bank and one pick up bank. Not sure I can handle (with my job and hours) opening multiple accounts--thought I see many that do. I generally work 70-80 hours per week and the banks are closed when I get off work. I buy at a bank that is housed in Walmart and they are open on the weekends. I dump at a bank on friday afternoons that has a free coin counter. Have accounts at both banks.

Suggestions?
apush (who works too many darn hours. I still have 15 years before retirement ;D
 
Yeah Rich, they're few and far between around here. I just got lucky, that's why I didn't pass it up.
 
The other day a bank around my area had a bag of $240 in halves from their machine, but i only had $150 dollars, so i bought what i could, and it was one of the best (if not the best) group of coin that i have ever gotten...looks like someone dumped their entire collection in that machine. ;D
 
TooManyHobbies said:
Yeah Rich, they're few and far between around here. I just got lucky, that's why I didn't pass it up.

Seriously, in the days that I could get bags I have filled it with 800 bucks and got 49 keepers. I never got a half dollar bag skunk,even when filling it up.
Go for it
HH
Rich
 
TooManyHobbies said:
Yeah Rich, they're few and far between around here. I just got lucky, that's why I didn't pass it up.

Oops! Forgot about the bag I got somewhere in Northern Connecticut. Can't remember the name of the bank but there was a hospital or medical facility next to the parking lot. The teller was about to sell me the bag without counting it. I could see walkers and bens in it. The manager comes over and insists on counting the coins and pulled all the silvers. I payed about 700 and change for that bag. So you can imagine what she got.
HH
Rich
 
apush said:
I have never bought a bag, but it sounds like an opportunity. Does anyone go to just any bank and ask to buy a bag??? I have one dump bank and one pick up bank. Not sure I can handle (with my job and hours) opening multiple accounts--thought I see many that do. I generally work 70-80 hours per week and the banks are closed when I get off work. I buy at a bank that is housed in Walmart and they are open on the weekends. I dump at a bank on friday afternoons that has a free coin counter. Have accounts at both banks.

Suggestions?
apush (who works too many darn hours. I still have 15 years before retirement ;D

Apush,
Working 70-80 hours a week does not leave you with much time to hunt. When I've purchased bags it was always at a bank that I did not have an account with. I'd simply ask for the bag. Where I could pick up bags I'd pick up nickels,dimes,and quarters as well. Best producers are the half dollar bags,followed by dimes,nickels and quarters.
If your time is limited find a good box bank, order from there, and dump it the same day. That's what I do.
HH
Rich
 
Rich Hartford said:
TooManyHobbies said:
Yeah Rich, they're few and far between around here. I just got lucky, that's why I didn't pass it up.

Oops! Forgot about the bag I got somewhere in Northern Connecticut. Can't remember the name of the bank but there was a hospital or medical facility next to the parking lot. The teller was about to sell me the bag without counting it. I could see walkers and bens in it. The manager comes over and insists on counting the coins and pulled all the silvers. I payed about 700 and change for that bag. So you can imagine what she got.
HH
Rich

That my friend would be infuriating :angry4: , he knew full well why you wanted it & did that to you despite!
 
I'll add as much as $499 to fill a ($1000) bag; if that's what I have to do to buy it.
 
Just to let you know what the take was on the bag. Only 7 silvers (2 - '64, 5 - 40%), 4 Ikes, 12 quarters, 12 dimes, 2 nickels, 26 pennies and two junk pendants. Not to bad for $252 bag. Sucked going through the other $748 of my drop. Maybe next year I'll find another bag.
 
I also said that if i were to start an account at the bank, they would have to allow me to buy bags both full and partial.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom