Buying a dredge

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello! So my dad and I are (hopefully) going to get a dredge. I have found someone who has agreed to sell us his used 5" Keene dredge for $1500. It has a Honda engine, all of the hoses and tubes needed to use it, and an air compressor. how can you tell if the pump works without taking it to a creek or river? I would also need to buy a wetsuit and mask because of the cold water. Thanks

Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just pulled mine out of the garage today, just take a garden hose and lean it against the intake on the pump.
the pump seal is ceramic and needs water to not over heat, start it,
check that its not leaking out the back of the pump at the shaft, check that the air is working.
you can also post photos and we can give an assessment and recommendations.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A el cheapo kiddie pool works fine to test in, swimming pool or even a 55 gallon drum with no top or holes opened larger to insert foot valve and discharge. I have a 30 gallon I use on all my pumps to make sure all is right. Hope all goes ok-John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a kiddie pool.

$1500 is a steal for a 5" even if the motor is seized the pump and compressor in working condition justify that . The fact that the motor is Honda is good.
without pics at that price I wager it is an older crashbox dredge. maybe a multistage can't be a triple.

get us some pics Alex. Depending on where you are I may be able to get someone to check it out in person for you also.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I was told those pumps will not move air. Be sure the suction hose full up to the pump. Then top it off from the discharge end. Do not let it run dry.

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi. Thank you all for the advice. Here are the pics I have. Alx4.jpeg Alx3.jpeg Alx2.jpeg Alx1.jpeg

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A couple of questions, did those pontoons used to be yellow and I can't tell the HP rating on the engine. The hoses (5in.) look kinda "used" but if not killer stiff they ought to work. I don't like that style of footvalve, only because they are a pain in shallow water but changing over to a different style is no big deal. The Keene triple has had a vary good following especially for fine gold recovery and about the crash box ...well, I've had both (got a flare w/over-under now) and just can't really pick one over the other. Price is more than right and will be a real rock sucker.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"can't be a triple"

Alex the comment you make to the seller is " TAKE MY MONEY"

it's a good deal it's kinda big for ya :tongue3: but, your old man can help you grow into it.

Keep in mind you need big water for a cool rig like that.

If I had the money I wouldn't have posted the add until I bought it and was rubbing it in. :headbang:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and your gonna need a bigger kiddie pool

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget to change the oil in the pump motor.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like someone is giving a good deal, probably to pass it on and help a new generation get started in gold mining.
its not easy, there is a learning curve, make some good connections and pay attention when someone is willing to teach how they do things.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Alex , after you buy this ,do a complete cleanup of the sluice and take it all apart to find the hidden gold that seldom gets cleaned out of where the metal and plastics bolt together! Last Fall I bought my friends 4 inch Keene dredge and I told him I would do this and return the gold to him . MAN was I surprised when I unbolted the flair to the sluice and latterly saw gold dropping out!!! He called me on Skype after I mailed him the vile! HAPPY CAMPERS ALL AROUND!

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im with MendoAu check to see if the pontoons arent actually funky old yellow ones painted gray. I read one of Reed Lukens comments a ways back about looking at a dredge for sale that had the yellow sun bleached ready to pop on a rock pontoons painted gray to fool you into thinking they were new good shape. I saw the same trick on a dredge for sale couldnt believe it lol.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That 8hp will be plenty and grey pontoons is a plus.
Shallow water is just waiting to get deeper somehow...HA!
Sitting in about two feet of water with still plenty of draft:
DSC00029 copy.jpg

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went to the guy's house yesterday. He said that he would replace the pull start cord and the oil and that he would get a few spare parts so we didn't have to. Pull cord was frayed and about to break and he drained the oil yesterday. the hoses looked pretty new and he had 100 Ft of new air line. He said to use the black non slip stuff you put on shelves under the moss and carpet. Does that really help to catch fine gold? Thanks

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use 1\8th inch ribbed rubber mat under my miners moss or unbacked carpet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread