Buying silver at yardsales?

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
I have always been a big yardsale goer. My question is about buying silver "silverware" lol. Hows the best way to buy and whats paying to much. I have a small pocket digital scale and have a good grip on silver prices and such. i guess my biggest question is about silver knifes. i have heard they are reinforced? If so what is the most I should pay for silver knifes.

Also any general info for buying metals at yardsales ie. gold, silver, coins, scrap etc. that you may have ideas or recommendations on I am all ears. Thanks a bunch I plan to hit the yardsales and fleamarkets hardcore this year:-)

-K

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i bought 5-6 Big pieces of silver serving ware once at an auction for like a dollar a piece (was in a mixed lot they let me put together 10 bucks was whole gig)
3 were plated crap
3 were SOLID sterling about a 1 1/2 - 2 pounds of silver for 3 bucks
also carry your car keys in your hand
if a item is questionable scratch a small spot to see if its solid or plated ::)
also learn the different wording/makers marks for plated
some will say silver plated copper thats a plus toss it in a copper pile
always chew them down,if they are selling it ,they don't want it !
loss the scale that denotes you're up to something
also solid silver spoons and forks(?) will be much lighter then say a plated item
they also sound different they dont go TING if you rap it against something
they go TONG slightly lower pitch then plated
go for the SOLID items ;)
ill check back to see what others toss to you 8)
25 cents an item is to much in my opinion say for silverware
depends if its large sure a baby spoon ugh ahh depends on the # of items you will buy/want
always low ball at sales they want 2 bucks say a buck you know the drill

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
It really depends if you are buying for the collectible value or not. My wife deals in silverware(semi-professionally, she does make money), and we have made several buys for less than $20, that have contained pieces worth over $300, as a collectible, not in weight. It takes a lot of reasearch to make monet doing it, but it is a pretty cool hobby.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've started looking at garage sales this Spring for Sterling Silverware... Saturday, I found 13 pieces ( 3 table knives, 3 tea spoon, 3 dinner forks, and 4 salad forks) for only $8.00, total.

I got home and did a search to see if what I found was really sterling silver... I think I can get back my $8.00 ;>)

One silverware company has offered $103 for the silverware...
If sold to them, Profit is about $90.

http://www.antiquecupboard.com/ShowPattern.asp?Pattern=Flower+Lane&PatternID=229&Mfg=Oneida

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread