c. 1789 George Washington Inaugural Linked States Button

Mr. Magoo

Feb 5, 2007
North carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From the ground a man from North Carolina stood looking up at the balcony. He had traveled a great distance to see someone this day. On his chest was a button he had purchased to show support for the man he came to see. It was a bright and glorious day and in his chest was the beating of his heart to a patriotic beat. The man he came to see was the new President. As the crowd grew quiet he saw who he came to see step to the balcony. He was tall and was dressed in a brown suit wearing silver shoe buckles and diamond knee buckles and a beautiful sword. It was President elect George Washington, truly a man above men. He had captivated the attention of the infant country by his heroic leadership in the American Revolution. As the day passed, the man started home to North Carolina. Back to his farm and his life, only this time with a feeling that good times were soon coming. Back at his farm, he removed the patriotic button from his chest and placed it in a keepsake box beside his bed, often times taking it out looking at it to encourage him through the hardships that would come. The ovals around the half-dollar sized brass button told him of the union of many people in various states that supported the countries new cause. The statement “Long Live The President” denoted the cry for long life to a wise and loved man and the scripted GW in his own script signified his personalized vow to lead a struggling country into freedom of tyranny.
Two hundred and twenty years later I walked the ground of the location where this man lived and worked. How it got to this place is unknown. Swinging my detector with a friend we were unaware of the historical encounter we would have this day. For three days we dug many items that took us back to the 18th century and early 19th century. Finding many flat, one-piece buttons, a 1813 Peruvian reale, Georgian period clock winding key as well as musket balls and square nails, we knew we were close to a find of a lifetime. As the targets grew fewer and fewer and the ground grew quiet, I decided to hunt more slowly and to hunt the fringes of the location. Receiving a broken sound registering five inches on my trusty Spectrum XLT, I eagerly dug into the hard, red earth. Rolling the big plug of earth, I looked for what my target had detected. Then there it was covered in dirt-a large half-dollar shaped object. Picking it up, I called my friend over to witness the find. Looking at it, we agreed that it appeared to be a dandy button from the 18th century.
Dandy buttons were large, over-sized buttons worn by affluent people of their time to denote wealth and status. It fit with the other items that had been found on the site. Thinking nothing more of it, the button was put it into my pocket with the other items found that day.
As I continued hunting and the sun beat down on me, I decided to take shelter in the shade and get a cool drink of water. While resting, I pulled the button from my pouch and splashed water on it to see if there was any other detail that may be present. Immediately there was great detail around the rim and I recognized the pattern to be a possible George Washington Inaugural button of the linked states variety. My heart was racing as I yelled to my buddy to look. I was shaking at the possible historical significance of this item. I couldn’t hunt anymore though I tried. My mind kept coming back to the button- that glorious button and the day that it marked- 4 March 1789. Finally I made the three hour drive home and getting inside I ran water over the button and gently loosened the dirt that still covered the button. I then compared it to my reference guide. It was indeed a linked states variety George Washington Inaugural button c. 1789 with only 55 known to exist. What a find! I later found out it was seen in the movie “National Treasure” with Nicholas Cage. The chances of finding this type of historical iconary are rare and I had found it that day! As I held it in my shaking hands I uttered the same words that were shouted as the man stood at the balcony on that day- “Long Live The President!”

Attachments

• gwbutton.jpg
    gwbutton.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 1,371
  • gw1button.jpg
    gw1button.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 1,328
  • gw2button.jpg
    gw2button.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 1,340
  • gw4.jpg
    gw4.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,301
  • finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,330
  • gwbutton.jpg
    gwbutton.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 1,321
  • gw1button.jpg
    gw1button.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 1,326
  • gw2button.jpg
    gw2button.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 1,310
  • gw4.jpg
    gw4.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,292
  • gwone.jpg
    gwone.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,286
  • gwfront.jpg
    gwfront.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,284
Upvote 0

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
:headbang: Congrats Mr Magoo :headbang: Welcome to the G.W.I.B. club !! :occasion18:

Great and well written button story :thumbsup: Its an amazing feeling digging one isn't it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your the first person to hold and appreciate that historical button in 220 years ! The moment you realize what you have your overwhelmed and transported back to that time. And your patriotism wells up inside you. And you feel a connection to G. Washington himself dint you ? !! I did...still do.

When I unearthed mine I immediately knew what I had and I had to sit down in that narrow row of corn and just gaze at it . I couldn't move for 10 minutes. 15 years of searching for one and I beat the odds ;D

So congratulations on beating the odds !!

D. 8)

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was waiting for more detail and it came in a Banner Style package.
Great Story, Great Find and I also Vote Banner.
I know We've had several George Washington buttons found lately, but it's just the Year to Show, no matter who is in office, Our First President is Always going to be remembered.

:thumbsup: Nova Treasure :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
Magoo, I've been trying to find out a little more about this variety but what is written seems unclear. Albert mentions a variety which, to use his words, has "design showing on the back". What is unclear is whether he is referring to a negative design or another positive impression on the verso. What makes his description even more unclear is a following statement regarding another pewter example (later pewter button repro) where Albert says, "known also with device on both sides".

The two differently worded descriptions can conceivably mean two different things for one or the other button (one shows design on verso, while the other shows design deliberately struck on verso); and I only mention them both to point out what such wording may mean regarding your genuine button. I have yet to find anything more regarding the "design showing on the back" variety, however without knowing more it seems possible Albert is referring to a thinner planchet used for your's where the design shows through on the back. If that is what he means, then your button would fit that category of "design showing on the back" and be far rarer (rarity6) with only several known. (WHB 10B)
I agree with this post.... it's definitely not pewter. It clearly shows design on back from being a thinner planchet. I have the COBB# as 9a and the ALBERT # as WI-4a1. At the time of the Cobb sale, only 3 were known. Thought this was a Banner on original post and voted for it. WHY IS THIS RELIC BEING SHUNNED?????? :protest:

OP
OP
Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo

Feb 5, 2007
North carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the votes guys. Don't know why it hasn't made banner yet, but hopefully soon. Glad you liked the depiction of the events that may have led to the loss of this rare find. Mike from 4H however quoted my latest book title incorrectly by accident and just wanted to correct it for those that wanted to search amazon.com. It is a fictional work called REPHAIM, The Valley of the Giants. It is available in hard cover or paperback and I am in the process of having it made into a movie. You may like it! Thanks again guys! :headbang:

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANG, that's a find of a lifetime. Awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:... I had to vote banner also. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

DANGLANGLEY

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.
Finds like your button are truely amazing. Its an actual piece of American history, and in my opinion, belongs in a museum for all to see. It is without doubt a banner find, and more. A perfect example of what detecting is all about. And i'd also like to comment on your decision not to scrub the dirt off, could you imagine how you'd feel if you damaged it or broke it, well done on preserving it.

And obvious banner.

James.
HomesteadHunter.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite the penman you are! That was an excellent short story on that amazing find! 8)

Many congrats to ya!!! I really enjoyed the read!

Nana :)

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's one fraternity that admires and recognizes the significance! Way to go Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Mike,

Great story! I would love to run it as a feature in a future issue of AD, but it needs to be tweaked to fit our writers guidelines. Those are on our website, but to summarize we need a word count of between 1200-2000, a minimum of 8-10 photos showing things like other finds from the site (even common items), the main items (the button, in this case, so we have that photo), maybe what the terrain looks like at the sight, the diggers hunting, etc...just use your imagination!

Please, you and your friend work on this! We'd love to run this as a feature article.

As to the star, it has been laid out, but I think it is in the Jan-Feb Issue, if not, then March April. Due to backlogs of finds, it takes a while to get into the pages.
Thanks and I look forward to the revised submission. Oh, you can send it all to this email, but it is best to use a Word attachment. Send the photos full size, also.

Thanks,

Butch Holcombe
Publisher
American Digger Magazine

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't see it on the banner, why not? Excellent story linking us to the past, there are a few good story tellers on T-net, and I rank you #1! I am voting banner also, you deserve it. Congratulations and HH.......NGE

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I was away for the weekend, but when I came back on Monday I was greeted with some great new banners including a pair of old silver cuff links. While the cuff links are a great find, I think the historic significance of this button far outreaches most of these banners.

You have my vote!

(There sure have been a lot of GW buttons popping up lately. When will it be my turn?)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER!!!BANNER!!!BANNER!!!BANNER!!!
:occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14:
:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:

:love4: :love4: :love4: :love4: :love4: :love4: :love4: :love4:
:occasion18: :occasion18: :occasion18: :occasion18: :occasion18:

kevin11

Mar 12, 2009
Bronson,Michigan
Detector(s) used
ace 250
No offence but this find is as good as a lot of banner finds.don't understand why it didn't make it........................Kevin :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread