Fentonian

Apr 18, 2021
Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for any information on this flat button I recovered. From what I make out it says C. Poll Schropen . The back is plain without any makers stamp. About the same size as a modern U.S Nickel. Thanks in advance for any help!
IMG_0900.jpeg
IMG_0901.jpeg
IMG_0902.jpeg

Upvote 6

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI @Fentonian

You posted this a couple of years ago. Maybe someone can solve the mystery now, but here's the link to previous discussion which might help in the sleuthing:

For what it's worth, I still think this did not start life as a button and has been converted from some kind of token.

OP
OP
Fentonian

Fentonian

Apr 18, 2021
Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI @Fentonian

You posted this a couple of years ago. Maybe someone can solve the mystery now, but here's the link to previous discussion which might help in the sleuthing:

For what it's worth, I still think this did not start life as a button and has been converted from some kind of token.
Yes I did post a long while back, trying to get a clear identification, I document all my finds and locations of where they were found and what they are. This is in my “what is it?” Case. Thanks again redcoat! I figured if I can find out who C. Poll was then it would help answer some questions. The internet hasn’t been of much help for me on this. Was recovered at one of my counties first pioneers, gerhardt being the last name, of German descent and that’s about all my local history research tells me of him.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a few more thoughts.

The “C. Poll…” is undoubtedly a name but I don’t think we can be absolutely certain it ends with double L. If one rotates it to what I think is the correct orientation and considers the symmetry of the words then, to balance up with the word “Schropen”, it looks like some letters are missing at the top left. Perhaps from the end of the name, or maybe there is another short word after it.

Schropen.jpg

If we accept that the “Schropen” together with the portraiture likely places it in Germanic or Low Country territory then “Poll” is not an uncommon surname (also as Polle) but there are a number of other possibilities for a slightly longer name including Pollak, Pollok, Poller, Pollner etc. There also seems to be enough space for something longer such as Pollmann, Pollinger or whatever if there isn’t a missing word.

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...The back is plain without any makers stamp.

It looks to me that it's heavily worn rather than plain. There looks to be a letter H at one o' clock and the remnants of some more letters running through to about three o' clock.

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting