Cache Story

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
No names or places will be identified as this is just fictional and I am just proposing a hypothetical question.

Sometime in the last century my family lived near a couple who were retired at very early age, less then 40 I believe. They lived a modest life in a normal suburb of a larger city. In the time span of nearly 10 years they never worked that I know of. Well one day we were out in the yard having a beer and I recall 3 stacks of bills wrapped in clear plastic that were to be buried. I think the stacks were about the size that would fit into a 30cal ammo can but don't recall seeing any cans. And I left before the burial took place. Years passed and eventually we moved away and they did also. From recollection's of my folks they said that the man had owned a store or a mall, maybe both. Well whatever the circumstance there appeared to be a steady cash flow from what I heard. I don't know if the money was from legal sources and I do not care. At one point there was a mention of over $200,000, and this was along time ago. What I do know is that the man did not trust banks with the money that was buried, that much is sure. So 40 something years go by and I recently come across a notification of the mans passing. Well it didn't take me more then about 3 minutes until I started thinking what if, what if there was still cash buried? Granted they had moved over 1000 miles away from the residence where I was familiar with them. Did he miss any when he retrieved his stash? Also did he continue the cache mentality after they had moved? I think it is entirely possible. Well to my knowledge they had no kids so there were no heirs other then the man's widow who is still alive as far as I know. What I am wondering is if she knew of where the money was buried if there was any and she may not have even known about any or all of it. I cannot imagine an eighty plus year old woman trying to recover a buried cache. What if she didn't know the cache's existence? She was not present the instance where I saw the wrapped bills. So would you contact someone you have not talked to in 40ish years? Anyway I have no interest other than the possibility of helping out someone. I certainly have no intentions of recovering anything for personal gain. I just wonder you know.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Great story, don't underestimate those 80 year old widows. They usually have more business sense than the male. This guy sounds like Org Cr. and
I would bet he took it with him since he lived another 40 years. You don't
just forget things like that, contrary to what many THers surmise.

OldOwl

Greenie
May 29, 2008
No. They didn't leave any behind. I know somebody older than that who just buried $35,000 in bills and showed me where it is in case they die in the mean time.

These days people have good reason to not trust banks, wouldn't you say? I bet there's a lot of that going on. Guns too.

I always tell people if they are going to bury guns do it near a chain link fence or steel pipes where a detector won't work so well.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that I would have to check on the widow's location. If she is still alive and have a chat with her. What do you have to lose. She might be in a position that she could really use the money. Or maybe she has passed on also.

When my grandfather passed away almost 40 years ago, only one grandson knew where his money was buried. My Grandmother was not told where it was. After he passed away, my uncle crawled under the house with a string and a shovel and retrieved a short length (18 inches or so) of 2 inch pipe with caps on both ends. I still wonder who ended up with the silver dollars that were in with the bills.

Bob

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know about people.

When my husband's grandfather passed away, I was the only person who knew what was where, and had the things to get access to them.
(I had a key to his safe deposit box, I was on his savings account, and the beneficiary to part of his insurances - and I knew where he had money hiding, and I was the executor of his will) And I was an in-law. (I was married to his grandson).

He had his reasons - he figured if I had everything, that his children and grandchildren couldn't fight over anything. He had made me a list of what he wanted to go where, and I followed it to the letter. He even had his entire funeral planned and paid for.

So, like I said - you just never really know what someone is thinking.

B

OP
OP
wwace

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
The issues as I see it are that they had a steady source of income from whatever their business was. If I recall correctly he owned a grocery store. Probably much easier to keep two sets of books 40 years ago and skim some of the profits but this is just speculation. The buried cash was excess to their needs and lifestyle. They were very modest, nothing fancy house or cars etc. I expect that the amount buried would have grown rather then be spent but who knows. The widow is alive as far as I know but I hate like hell to stick my nose in other's business. The only thing that bugs me is if she doesn't know of or can't find the cache herself. I don't think there would be any left at their house that they moved from in the 80's, but you never know. Also if it wasn't in a container it would be hard as hell to find. Obviously a quick metal detecting search would help determine the situation. regardless this is all fiction anyway, just a what if scenario

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as far as age and memorey, don' t let that foul you. my mother-in-law is 87 and man o man, she is still sharp and drives also.
my opinion only, i would sure make the effort to find out more. take care and be safe out there. ron :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread