Caches

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
Not sure of caches, but on one of my many trips to tioga county visiting a friend, we drove out to the west side of the canyon, and this was before all the new tourist attraction built up, they at the time had trails both for horse or motorcycles. Well we were speaking to one of the off road bikers and he said he had seen a ghost town on the top of the mountian.
I also have some research I have done of that area, when I get home I will go through it and see what is there for you.

HH

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
Here is a list from the book "Guide to treasure in Pa."

in Tioga county there are a number of ghost coal and logging towns.
Leetonia: shouldnt be hard to find as it did have a post office, the mill closed in 1921 and people
started leaving
Morris: coal and logging town, now ghost, chemical company opened there but was a ghost town by
Tiadaghton: nearly a ghost town today with 2 or 3 homes still being lived in. it was a busy logging
town with hotel,post office, 2 stores, saw mill, 20 to 30 houses. post office closed in 1936
Fall Brook: a mining town near Wellsboro, now only one house is still there
also near Wellsboro is Landrus, Roaring Branch, Oregon Hill, all gone now, but all were mining towns.

One note: I was west of there, towanda area, and started detecting a ghost town called LaQuinn, this was a very large and busy town with company store and a number of houses. after a few hours of working on a area east of the town, and around a few remains of small worker houses, I was empty handed. Thoughts went through my mind, was it done so many times before, then it hit me! These people worked and lived through the company and owed the company store, and since the companies take all there pay and give credit out to buy from their stores, they were always kept indebt! This doesnt mean there are no finds but just harder to get, and I am sure there are caches around them too.
Planning a trip up there this summer, to do the old barkley town, very old, and if you go to the town you will find a large grave yard on the right side of a long dirt road and the town is on the left behind a hill of coal slag. nothing left as rumor has it that the plague hit the town and killed many and the people left burning the town to the ground. I did some of the grave yard a number of years ago but never did the town. you can walk into the woods and see where the main street went and there are lots of signs of homes, no foundations but domestic shrubs and flowers not seen in a wood setting.
happy hunting and I hope this helps you some.
Roger

J

jennymo1

Does anyone know about caches that were buried during the civil war, and found...I think it is somewhere around Viriginia or New york...any suggestions?

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Virginia has many Civil War Cashes. Many of the Pantation owners stashed their valuables to keep them from Union Raiders. My favorite though is Mosbys Cache. He took a Union unit near Culpepper and on the way back to Richmond hid the loot the Union troops had stolen somewhere in Black Swamp near Culpepper. In his memoirs he said that it contained some of the most precious heirloom's of old Virginia families and regretted he had never been able to go back for it. This is just one of many documented cache's.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
deepsix,
Amigo, check your story! You are writing about the Stoughton raid and the goods were buried between Haymarket and New Baltimore. Check 'Jeff Davis' posts about this. He says that the cache is now under a strip mall parking lot. Mosby actually brought Stoughton to Culpeper and handed him over to officers here.

Jim Johnson
grizzly bare

ps just realized that you are new! Welcome to the best Treasure Hunting/Metal Detecting/Story Telling site on the web!
JJ

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there was a show on a few years back called "millionaire mystery"
or something like that,any how they talked about a gangster in phonecia ny in the catskills.
he stayed at the hotel with his most trusted henchman ,one day he left with his friend with a trunk
supposedly filled with cash ,coins, and bonds etc, they were gone for an hour. he was hiding it as the cops were coming for him.
this was about 60-70 yrs ago.the show stated that whomever finds it can keep it. so within a 1/2 hr radius of phonicia hotel,
my guess anyhow. is what they think is about 25 million.
this could also be under the ashokan res.
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread