What's new

Cahokia Mounds: Collinsville Illinois

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2005
Messages
1,178
Reaction score
446
Golden Thread
0
Location
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Hey guys. Awesome afternoon here today so I decided to take the boys for their first trek to Cahokia Mounds. And let them absorb a little bit of the Mississippian era. Everrett has been absolutely absorbed by the artifacts and culture of the past for the last few months so I thought he'd love it. And he did. Here are some photo's for you guys across the country who can't make it to actually see the mounds. Photos include the Grossman and Pearson celt cache's and what i'm sure are a lot of replica's of things found across the site. I just thought I'd let everyone check things out a bit. If you get a chance I definitely suggest checking it out. It's quite an awe inspiring site and I don't think you can fully understand it's magnitude until you experience it first hand. I sometimes forget that such an amazing ancient city is just a stones throw away. Thanks guys

IMG_0622.webpIMG_0623.webpIMG_0624.webpIMG_0625.webpIMG_0627.webpIMG_0628.webpIMG_0629.webpIMG_0630.webpIMG_0631.webpIMG_0632.webpIMG_0633.webpIMG_0634.webpIMG_0635.webpIMG_0636.webpIMG_0637.webpIMG_0638.webp


Here is the official link for anyone that cares to inquire more about the site.

Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site and Cahokia Mounds Museum Society
 
Upvote 0
Yeah thats always a fun trip going to the mounds here also. Its amazing as to how tall some are. Makes you wonder if they built the mound or just took the top off of a hill and made it flat.
 
I've been all of this world and I can say that Cahokia is one of the top 5 coolest places I've ever seen. I used to go there every month or two with the wife and kids. Can't beat the interpretive center, the trails and of course the mounds. Really cool. Worth the trip regardless of where you're coming from.
 
I've been all of this world and I can say that Cahokia is one of the top 5 coolest places I've ever seen. I used to go there every month or two with the wife and kids. Can't beat the interpretive center, the trails and of course the mounds. Really cool. Worth the trip regardless of where you're coming from.
Completely agree.
 
Excellent thread. I usually stop when I go to Collinsville in March. That big mound is amazing, and all those borrow pits ponds are a nice result from the making of it.
 
Last edited:
Cahokia is awesome, very impressive from A-Z. Unfortunately when we visited a couple years ago we had limited time and it was 113 degrees! We only went in the interpretive center, never made it out to the trails or mounds. At least I've got a reason to go back!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom