Call me Crazy but...

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
See if you can follow my logic. I am an absolute beginner. I want to find gold. No matter what detector I get there will be a learning curve.
Now, the way I figure it is all the easy gold has been taken. All the pretty hard to find gold has been taken also. All that's left is the deep, hard to find gold, or the very small pieces.
I already bought a Goldbug 2 used. I was going to pick up a Gold Monster 1000 used. I would spend right at the thousand dollar mark, but the I got thinking.
Why not buy the best gold detector money can buy, the Minelab gpz 7000.
Yes it is complicated. Yes it is expensive, BUT... it will find the the hard to find gold better than anything else.
So, that's what I did. I figure if I can hit it hard and get competent with it by using it 8 hours a day for about 3 months in an area that is known for gold...it will pay for itself and start making me money.
So anybody want to weigh in to question my sanity?

Upvote 11
OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
You're crazy! (Couldn't resist) But once you get the hours in,
(Learning curve) I think you've got a good plan. Of course you may luck out & make your money back in one fell swoop.
Thanks Mr Man,
I'm glad almost everyone " gets it". Normal? Who wants to be normal? I think you have to be crazy to work all your life at a job you don't LOVE. I emphasize love because when you love what you're doing , it's no longer a job. Ask any jet jockey. It's getting out of bed smiling, knowing today is going to be FUN. Took me a while, and several jobs to figure that one out. Now imagine getting paid to sail from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to Jaco, Costa Rica. Yup, getting paid to go sailing in paradise. You be the judge.

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Maka13 for all your positive feedback. I'm finding a lot of good folks on this website. It's been running 99 for and 1 against. I can live with that.
Yes that's a dive helmet. We call them "hardhats" , hence the term, "Hardhat Diving". It's the difference between recreational "SCUBA" diving and professional, getting paid, to dive, diving. This particular helmet is a reproduction. It is non functional. It was given to me by my ex dive boss, James "Ace" Parnell. He was a Navy Diver. I worked for him back in the 90's.
We have been good friends for 30 years. Ace collects Hardhats. Mostly working helmets. I think he has 6.
You've got good perception to spot that down on the floor. I just wanted to "show off" my new (to me) metal detector.
Oooh it’s super cool! I love it. I love the detector too!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mr Man,
I'm glad almost everyone " gets it". Normal? Who wants to be normal? I think you have to be crazy to work all your life at a job you don't LOVE. I emphasize love because when you love what you're doing , it's no longer a job. Ask any jet jockey. It's getting out of bed smiling, knowing today is going to be FUN. Took me a while, and several jobs to figure that one out. Now imagine getting paid to sail from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to Jaco, Costa Rica. Yup, getting paid to go sailing in paradise. You be the judge.
Judge!?!? How could I judge someone I never met? If I did that imagine all the awesome people I would've missed meeting. And you have to ask, crazy, by who's standards?

Just go out and have fun & learn! Can't ask for much more. Best of luck to you & keep us updated on your progress!

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Oooh it’s super cool! I love it. I love the detector too!
Thanks Maka13,
I couldn't believe it when he gave it to me. First he asked me to store it for him. After about a year, I asked him what he wanted to do with it. He told me I could have it. Wow!
The detector has a bit of a story also. I was trying to buy it on ebay. I negotiated with the guy. We settled on a price. When I went to buy it, EBAY WANTED $400.00 in taxes. Now why should anyone have to pay taxes on a used item from a sale between two private citizens? Heck I was even going to drive to his place and pick it up, in Las Vegas. It all worked out in the end. Maybe not so well for ebay, but just fine for myself and the owner of the detector. I drove out to Las Vegas, bought it and drove back in one day.
I live in San Diego.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Judge!?!? How could I judge someone I never met? If I did that imagine all the awesome people I would've missed meeting. And you have to ask, crazy, by who's standards?

Just go out and have fun & learn! Can't ask for much more. Best of luck to you & keep us updated on your progress!
I have to respectfully disagree. Everyone is judging everyone all the time. Heck, when I'm driving I look at the type of car someone is driving. If it's a mom and pop car, no problem, I can breeze right by. If it's slammed Evo, I know the guy driving it has issues, so I pass him with the knowledge that I might be in for a challenge. That's just life in Socal. If you are not pretty, handsome and thin most people just assume you are "less than". I'm not into stereotypes. I take each person as they come. But think about it, would you go up to 5 guys in an alley at 2 in the morning and start something
Probably not. Your better judgement tells you not to. We judge all the time.
Just my humble opinion. No offense meant.
I'll keep you posted. This is a great site with great people. See?...judgement.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's a start. You have added three new words to your original post. Now, how about we try for a complete sentence or two. If we can't express ourselves, it kind of puts us back in the stone age.
We have a history!:laughing7: Stoneshirt and I.
:laughing7::laughing7:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I love a person with that rare quality, humor...and not taking one's self too seriously. Got a laugh outta me.
I have it on good authority that time spent laughing is not accrued to a man,s biblical 3 score and 10! Since I reach that milestone in March I laugh at every opportunity!! Seriously,I always try for a yuk or two if the opportunity presents itself.Glad you liked it!

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Ocean 7
I taught myself to ski. Been doing it for 60 years. Taught myself to surf. Been doing it for 46 years. Taught myself to sail. Been doing it for 44 years including 6 years cruising the planet. Taught myself mechanics, electrics, carpentry, drywall, plumbing, roofing...well you get the picture. I'm getting too old for all that. I'm pretty confident I can teach myself to successfully prospect for gold. A man once told me, "you're only as good as your tools". Recently I've been researching every publication I can find from the early.1800's on for the area I plan to investigate. I'm studying mineralogy and geology. I don't plan on being a novice for long. Then again, I could be nuts.

Whether you think you can or think you cannot - you are correct.

There have been many times where I have looked back, at my own life, and wondered how I managed to accomplish that specific "something" - be that "something" rather trivial, or quite significant. In every case I can honestly say that I accomplished that "something" because I didn't know I couldn't.

When my son was in his rebellious teens, he was susceptible to a common belief (amongst many) that someone (or something) was holding him back, preventing him from achieving his dreams. I sat him down for one of those talks and explained that he was in danger of building a lifetime relationship with a crutch that would eventually incapacitate him.

My advice to him was as follows: whenever you feel that someone, or something, is holding you back - stop and take a good look in a mirror. You will see who it is that is holding you back and can then take the necessary steps to go around the obstacle that is preventing you from achieving your goal/dream.

It took some years, but my son eventually learned how to recognize who was holding him back, and how to get around that obstacle. He graduated college with a degree in civil engineering, but soon learned that path wasn't for him. He then taught himself all sorts of computer skills (coding, etc..) and eventually got to the point where he owns his own business, where he contracts his services out to some of the world's largest companies and is very successful.

It would be a lie if I said his mother and I weren't a bit concerned when he announced his intention to skip a career that he had worked so hard to learn, but we believed in him. More importantly - he believed in himself. Despite the many naysayers who told him he couldn't do what he was planning to do.

To this day I am still amazed by what we can accomplish when we don't know that we can't. I hope our son teaches his son that same lesson.

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There have been many times where I have looked back, at my own life, and wondered how I managed to accomplish that specific "something" - be that "something" rather trivial, or quite significant. In every case I can honestly say that I accomplished that "something" because I didn't know I couldn't.

When my son was in his rebellious teens, he was susceptible to a common belief (amongst many) that someone (or something) was holding him back, preventing him from achieving his dreams. I sat him down for one of those talks and explained that he was in danger of building a lifetime relationship with a crutch that would eventually incapacitate him.

My advice to him was as follows: whenever you feel that someone, or something, is holding you back - stop and take a good look in a mirror. You will see who it is that is holding you back and can then take the necessary steps to go around the obstacle that is preventing you from achieving your goal/dream.

It took some years, but my son eventually learned how to recognize who was holding him back, and how to get around that obstacle. He graduated college with a degree in civil engineering, but soon learned that path wasn't for him. He then taught himself all sorts of computer skills (coding, etc..) and eventually got to the point where he owns his own business, where he contracts his services out to some of the world's largest companies and is very successful.

It would be a lie if I said his mother and I weren't a bit concerned when he announced his intention to skip a career that he had worked so hard to learn, but we believed in him. More importantly - he believed in himself. Despite the many naysayers who told him he couldn't do what he was planning to do.

To this day I am still amazed by what we can accomplish when we don't know that we can't. I hope our son teaches his son that same lesson.
Lol I’m still learning how to use this site but I love what you shared. I absolutely love the message. Thank you for sharing.

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I laughed out loud. Now my dogs think I'm crazy.
Lol no worries, my kids come into my room on some nights asking if everything is ok? Lol they see me laughing and just slowly walk away. Kids! They’re so weird too. Lol

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021

That's a great story.

That's a great story. Best thing about it is the truth behind it. Congratulations! You've accomplished something truly inspirational. You have raised a successful human being. That seems like an insurmountable proposition for a lot of people. I never had kids. I didn't want to screw somebody up and have to live with the regret. My wife used to tell me I would have done okay. Never raised a bad dog though.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Lol no worries, my kids come into my room on some nights asking if everything is ok? Lol they see me laughing and just slowly walk away. Kids! They’re so weird too. Lol
Sounds like you've got it under control. Better to be laughing than the alternative. I just got a puppy. Funniest little ball of life. He just jumps up in the air for no reason, except maybe the joy of doing it. It gets me every time. Big smile

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you Tahts.

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great story.

That's a great story. Best thing about it is the truth behind it. Congratulations! You've accomplished something truly inspirational. You have raised a successful human being. That seems like an insurmountable proposition for a lot of people. I never had kids. I didn't want to screw somebody up and have to live with the regret. My wife used to tell me I would have done okay. Never raised a bad dog though.
I’ve raised a terrible dog. Lol but the kids are good.

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia

Best,Kept in your Diary...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to respectfully disagree. Everyone is judging everyone all the time. Heck, when I'm driving I look at the type of car someone is driving. If it's a mom and pop car, no problem, I can breeze right by. If it's slammed Evo, I know the guy driving it has issues, so I pass him with the knowledge that I might be in for a challenge. That's just life in Socal. If you are not pretty, handsome and thin most people just assume you are "less than". I'm not into stereotypes. I take each person as they come. But think about it, would you go up to 5 guys in an alley at 2 in the morning and start something
Probably not. Your better judgement tells you not to. We judge all the time.
Just my humble opinion. No offense meant.
I'll keep you posted. This is a great site with great people. See?...judgement.
Judgement or observation? Knew a guy in Newport Beach that was a junk man, always wore bib overalls from K-mart, dirty hands & face When he passed, his estate was over 4 mil. With another 1-2 stashed in his house. Never met a nicer more real person yet! Glad I moved out of Cali, too many fake people. You seem to be an exception , at least there is one real person left on Diego!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread