What's new

Is it worth it?

GoJo7205

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 18, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
GreenRex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
New metal detector user from Southern Indiana. Got a detector for my birthday last year and want to give it a try. The process of searching a location, not knowing what you will find, getting some exercise, and spending time outdoors is all good stuff that I enjoy. I don't expect to ever find anything of significant value and that is OK. The hunt is still fun. Even though I am brand new to metal detecting and have little experience (i.e. around the yard figuring out the detector, vacant lot next door, etc., I am finding it very discouraging with respect to where you can actually go to search. After researching my area some, I find that city parks in my county are off limits, state parks are either off limits or require a permit, other public property maybe/maybe not, but more not. Private property appears to be about the only access available. In this day/age, randomly knocking on doors can get you shot. So, my question is....Is it worth it if you don't have the property connections that provide a place to hunt? What are the methods you use to identify where to go?
Thanks
 
Upvote 2
I called Several City Hall’s in my area. I asked If detecting was legal in their city parks. Most were. I’ve also asked permission from misc farmers, to search their fields. Most creek banks and river banks are public, in many states.
 
Most creek banks and river banks are public, in many states.
That's true, but private property owners may feel different if you're walking the creek/river bank on their property. IMO if someone asks you to leave, best to just do so and go someplace else (I've had it happen).
 
Hello all,
New metal detector user from Southern Indiana. Got a detector for my birthday last year and want to give it a try. The process of searching a location, not knowing what you will find, getting some exercise, and spending time outdoors is all good stuff that I enjoy. I don't expect to ever find anything of significant value and that is OK. The hunt is still fun. Even though I am brand new to metal detecting and have little experience (i.e. around the yard figuring out the detector, vacant lot next door, etc., I am finding it very discouraging with respect to where you can actually go to search. After researching my area some, I find that city parks in my county are off limits, state parks are either off limits or require a permit, other public property maybe/maybe not, but more not. Private property appears to be about the only access available. In this day/age, randomly knocking on doors can get you shot. So, my question is....Is it worth it if you don't have the property connections that provide a place to hunt? What are the methods you use to identify where to go?
Thanks
Did you look at the city ordinance online and see that metal detecting was actually prohibited? Often it states that digging or defacing is prohibited. A lot of people interpret that to mean detecting because you must dig a plug to remove the coins. But don't use a shovel, use a Hori knife or Lesche style hand digger and cut clean 3-sided plugs. Detecting is almost always ignored by park workers and Karens if you're not planting a shovel in their sod or making a big mess out of it. We have the same ordinance in Michigan city parks, yet people detect in them all the time.

Also, if you have farmland around you, most farmers don't care if you detect their property during the off season and will almost always give you permission to hunt. There you can use a shovel if you like, but don't leave a hole, fill it back in. Do your research, find the owner and ask in person (it goes a long way). There should be maps from the 1800's that show where old homesteads were in the farm fields. Go to historic map works online and look up your area. Also look for rises in the farm field (usually near the road). It's a good indicator that a home, barn, or outbuilding was there. I just got permission to a field like that with no indication of a homestead on the maps. So far in a 1 hr hunt today I found 2 Indian heads, 2 trade tokens, a silver charm, a wheat penny, and the 4th penny is soaking in olive oil. It's either another token or a flying eagle cent (too rough to tell yet). I won't bore you with all the trash I dug.
 
I think starting out you should find out if any places you can go with friends/family ( inner circle) and also make sure everyone you start new relationships with know you are into detecting. Contact historic societies in your area. I've become good friends with a few and they helped me out greatly
 
Did you look at the city ordinance online and see that metal detecting was actually prohibited? Often it states that digging or defacing is prohibited. A lot of people interpret that to mean detecting because you must dig a plug to remove the coins. But don't use a shovel, use a Hori knife or Lesche style hand digger and cut clean 3-sided plugs. Detecting is almost always ignored by park workers and Karens if you're not planting a shovel in their sod or making a big mess out of it. We have the same ordinance in Michigan city parks, yet people detect in them all the time.

Also, if you have farmland around you, most farmers don't care if you detect their property during the off season and will almost always give you permission to hunt. There you can use a shovel if you like, but don't leave a hole, fill it back in. Do your research, find the owner and ask in person (it goes a long way). There should be maps from the 1800's that show where old homesteads were in the farm fields. Go to historic map works online and look up your area. Also look for rises in the farm field (usually near the road). It's a good indicator that a home, barn, or outbuilding was there. I just got permission to a field like that with no indication of a homestead on the maps. So far in a 1 hr hunt today I found 2 Indian heads, 2 trade tokens, a silver charm, a wheat penny, and the 4th penny is soaking in olive oil. It's either another token or a flying eagle cent (too rough to tell yet). I won't bore you with all the trash I dug.
Sound advice my friend :icon_thumleft:
 
Hello all,
New metal detector user from Southern Indiana. Got a detector for my birthday last year and want to give it a try. The process of searching a location, not knowing what you will find, getting some exercise, and spending time outdoors is all good stuff that I enjoy. I don't expect to ever find anything of significant value and that is OK. The hunt is still fun. Even though I am brand new to metal detecting and have little experience (i.e. around the yard figuring out the detector, vacant lot next door, etc., I am finding it very discouraging with respect to where you can actually go to search. After researching my area some, I find that city parks in my county are off limits, state parks are either off limits or require a permit, other public property maybe/maybe not, but more not. Private property appears to be about the only access available. In this day/age, randomly knocking on doors can get you shot. So, my question is....Is it worth it if you don't have the property connections that provide a place to hunt? What are the methods you use to identify where to go?
Thanks
I tell everyone who ask me while metal detecting is it worth it, I say hell no, 90% of the time I don't even find enough for batteries.
 
I think it is worth it if you consider getting out and having some fun and exercise ! The things you find are cream on the top of it all !
But I also tell them that I don't do it for those earth shattering finds, I do it for the health benefits of it.
 
I think it is worth it if you consider getting out and having some fun and exercise ! The things you find are cream on the top of it all !
This is my view as well. Being able to put my feet in the ocean is the real treasure. Having this attitude, I can't lose! (except for maybe the day I broke my scoop handle, that day sucked)
 
This is my view as well. Being able to put my feet in the ocean is the real treasure. Having this attitude, I can't lose! (except for maybe the day I broke my scoop handle, that day sucked)
Then again, it gave you the opportunity to go out and buy a better one.
 
One thing about door knocking, Don't go to the door with all your tools on. I find a place that is old and looks good, i may walk past it 3 or 4 times to see if i can find them out side, maybe cutting grass, working in the yard, then i say hi, how are you today, don't get to hot or nice day to be out side. then you can tell them what you do and how you love to be out. Trust me, better than banging on the door and saying can i dig your yard. Good luck, and hope you do good. flintstone
 
then you can tell them what you do and how you love to be out. Trust me, better than banging on the door and saying can i dig your yard.
Can you elaborate on that? How do you explain what you do without asking to dig up the yard? :icon_scratch:
 

robertk, You just ask if you can hunt the yard, don't say any thing about digging. Just tell them you will not even see where i was at in a day or two. Be sure to use a cloth to put your dirt on wnen and pour it back in the hole and put the plug back and make it look good.​

 
I research the country atlases, use Google Earth. Then go knocking for permission.

With over 15,000 acres, as I lost count this past April with 3 large land owner permissions.
Just heard that one bought another huge tract of land.
So private permissions will still be the main focus for hunting.
Just getting out to dig is forgetting the world.
Seriously my house could burn down in the AM, I could go detecting in the PM, and I wouldn't even think about it.

No $$$ can replace that.
 
One thing about door knocking, Don't go to the door with all your tools on. I find a place that is old and looks good, i may walk past it 3 or 4 times to see if i can find them out side, maybe cutting grass, working in the yard, then i say hi, how are you today, don't get to hot or nice day to be out side. then you can tell them what you do and how you love to be out. Trust me, better than banging on the door and saying can i dig your yard. Good luck, and hope you do good. flintstone
Yeah, then when they see you with all your tools heading out to the yard, they start freaking out saying "I didn't mean you can dig up my yard wagging a finger." It's usually the shovel or digging tools that freak them out. I've had some that would only allow a probe such as a screw driver.
 
I've never done it but try looking up a local detecting club if they exist in your area and join one I'm sure that'll open up a lot of places.
 
Don't expect to ever find anything of value. Just do it for the exercise and sunshine. It'll be more relaxing once your arm muscles adapt to the constant swinging of the detector. When the weather is bad, I just get on my treadmill with my detector and swing it as I walk, with my scoop in my left hand. It increases the calorie expenditure that way.
 
Last edited:
I've never done it but try looking up a local detecting club if they exist in your area and join one I'm sure that'll open up a lot of places.
Not necessarily, most metal detector folk keep their hunting spots close to the vest and the one's that don't usually wind up regretting it sooner or later, especially when he shows up to one of his spots only to find his friend and two or three others hunting his spot or cause him to lose his spot due to not filling holes, leaving trash laying around rather than taking it with them.

I have folks all the time wanting to go hunting with me. But I rarely take anyone with me because they mainly looking for new places to hunt after their spots are hunted out, not because they want to be my friend or want to get to know me. I'm not that interesting nor am I that pleasant of a person to be around.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom