Calling brnn53!!! Camera Is Broke Cant Find A Button Book!!!!

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Hey brnn53,

My digital camera went kaput last nite, I have some more buttons to ask you about. But first why isnt there any military button books you can buy that are not out of print? I went to Barnes and Nobles and the two top books for military buttons are not made anymore. I am looking for pics of USMC buttons 1812-1845? Can you provide a pic? I have the following to identify.

Button #1
Brass colored anchor with chain wrapped arount it, nothing on the back, no decorative outside diameter. 2 piece.

Button #2
Silver colored anchor with the letters S on the left, S on the top and H to the right, Barnum and Co New York. 2 piece

Button #3
Brass colored anchor and chain wrapped around it with rope like border on O.D. nothing on back 2 piece.

Button #4
Same as #3 however on back it says Waterbury Button Co. 2 piece

Button #5
Brass colored button with chain attached on top with the ring attachment standing vertical with the chain flowing to the left, behind the anchor and then right and then through the bottom. 4 raised surfaces inside the rope O.D. Nothing on back, 2 piece.

These are undug and in beautiful shape, I think they are USMC buttons from the Second Seminole War 1836. Nothing from the civil war looks like these.

Help!!!!!

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, not much help from here. I would think that Marine buttons would most likely have an eagle on them in some form or fashion. Yours sound to me like Naval buttons and could possibly be British. I do know that the Tice's book is available and I know of one source for the Albert's book. Let me know if you are interested.
Mike

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Mike,

Look at the thread entitled navy Button from Resaca, GA that is one of my buttons. If it was a CONF it would have CSN on the bottom. I cannot find anything that shows me Union buttons that look like it. I think it is a USMC button also. Navy buttons on land? That says Marine to me.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
brnn53 said:
Dave, not much help from here. I would think that Marine buttons would most likely have an eagle on them in some form or fashion. Yours sound to me like Naval buttons and could possibly be British. I do know that the Tice's book is available and I know of one source for the Albert's book. Let me know if you are interested.
Mike

I agree...

Marine Corps buttons have had the eagle with anchor since the early 1800s... The conferderate Navy had CSN and crossed cannons if I'm not mistaken also... or a navy ship depicted.

The British Navy had dozens of anchor varieties... and Waterbury made a bazillion anchor motif buttons for uniforms and civilian blazer coats...

How-a-bout some pictures?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread