Camino Real

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I am trying to locate the exact route of the Camino Real as it passed thru the area east of San Marcos, New Braunfels and north toward Austin. The route was meticulosly traced many years ago and marked with official stone markers at points where it crossed modern roads or where modern roads became part of the old road, but I have not been able to find the publication of these State of texas markers. I'm thinking stream crossings would be prime relic and possible loot locations. Would appreciate anyone's help.

Attachments

• paracelsus woodcut (1).jpg
    paracelsus woodcut (1).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 436
OP
OP
joya_dorado

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Thanks for the Camino Real links! I had viewed most of them already and while they refer to where the road was in general, very few specifics are presented. Somehow Zively, I think his name was, traced and marked the road in the early part of the 20'th century but how he did it I haven't a clue. Even while exploring the documented crossings of rivers I have found no physical traces where i could say the road definitely was at such and such spot. Like trying to nail jelly to the wall. :P

OP
OP
joya_dorado

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Thanks Gypsy and Bluestem! You've both been very helpful. If anyone lives near san marcos and would like to metal detect in the area let me know.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Sounds like some hard things to prove if you cant find physical evidence...I know you have probally exhausted all resources but how about old photos or property owners that know where rossings would have been . You have attacked a huge project and without actually walking that trail and seeking clues , its going to be tough. The trail changed many times due to high water levels that I would imagine most traces ghave disappeared.

OP
OP
joya_dorado

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
You're right Gypsy it's a daunting task... but I'm not really trying to pin down the entire route, just stream crossings where it's likely travellers stopped, traded or fought with Indians, were robbed by bandits and other fun things. That link that Blustem sent was a virtual tour of the Camino Real and it had some very detailed info I had never seen before. It nailed one stream crossing only a mile from where I live and said you could still see wagon ruts in the creekbed there. Just so happens that area is an unused flood plain so maybe a prime are to poke around with my trusty MXT.
Now if the weather cooperates...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread