Yes... I was invited to detect a race track on a farmers land about a mile from the Erie Canal. We did not find a thing related to the old track but about 500 yards away I noticed a small mound in the field. So I headed in that direction and I noticed some broken glass in the field as I got closer to the tiny mound. I know for a fact the guy who invited me was kind of disappointed when we were done.. We found 12 large cents all dated before 1829 we also found 3 reales from the 1700 and 1800 hundreds. I was never invited back but what a great day of detecting. So the only thing that made sense was it was an area that provided meals and maybe sleeping quarters for the canal workers. The canal is about a mile away in a somewhat wooded area. No town near by. So I am going with a canal camp. There were hundreds of workers did they sleep on the job, I don't think so. They needed to get away. So a mile away on a small mound near the canal in open land, could help find the camps...
Also I found a bunch of large cents and some Canada 1812 tokens at another camp. A camp in the middle of nowhere that held workers who were building a Rail Road Trestle. 1840s was when it was built but it was replaced years ago. So a area without a town near by forced these workers to camp close to their job. ... I found 2 RR camps .. and with it found many many coins. I found the privy but I have not dug it but will. So RR Trestles, RR Tunnels, RR Bridges all have great potential if located far from towns. Look near creeks, flat land elevated land for the camps. They are near the area of work. .. Good Luck ..Jim