Camping Stories...

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott, normally I would love to, but I'm saving all of my stories for my book ;D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to camp a lot out west, use to camp a lot in Colorado in the late fall and winters. Roommate and I were traveling in south central Colorado on the way to the Black Canyon of Gunnision and were late finding a camp site one night while traveling, we stopped at a small gas station/grocery store after dark and asked the owner if he knew where a camp ground or state forest was we could camp at. He told us he owned about 20 acres behind the store and were welcome to drive up there and camp anywhere.

We drove up, picked a spot by the headlights of our car and set up our tent, wind was really blowing and it was colder than a well diggers you know what. We were scrounging around for fire wood in the dark, we could hear a river in the distance but due to the wind couldn't tell where. Well we found enough wood fumbling in the dark to start a nice camp fire where 2 large boulders met cooked our dinner and the heat off the rocks helped heat the campsite. We places our drinks in the snow to keep them cold and after a little partying went to sleep.

The next morning it was bright and sunny when we woke up and almost no wind and we could hear the river.........It turned out the river was below us. :o We had camped on the edge of a cliff, it dropped a couple hundred feet to the river in the canyon behind our tent. It was no more than 20 feet from the tent to the canyon............. We realized that stumbling around in the dark we could have easily walked off the edge........... :dontknow:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter that very fate of fallin of the cliff happened to some campers back when I was in school in the early 70's. Just after that, a buddy of mine and I went campin on the south Canadian River in Oklahoma up on the bluffs above the river valley. Couple of hundred feet down. I had a good spot picked out close to the rim, but he had read about that story and insisted we move camp back from the rim a couple of hundred feet which just wasn't the best spot, but move we did. At the time I thought it would be funny if for some reason he had to pee in the middle of the night and walked off the edge. Course, I was only about 16 and easily amused by random thoughts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread